Hardy Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mt_marcy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
hmmm... white clouds, corys, guppies, and zebra danios...
mt_marcy!

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
You know, I've not found the guppy you get a fish store to be particularly sturdy, I think they're inbred...

Across the board, barbs seem particularly healthy. If you see my post to Kelbel, I heartily recommend the checker barb. Most common GF varieties are good, and I've also been impressed with female bettas, which have a delicate beauty all their own.

Val

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
That, and, if they are from the Orient, they are kept in near-seawater salinity. No wonder they suffer when put in pure freshwater!!!

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
always check with your dealer the conditions they keep the fish in, and match that in your home aquarium. also, dont buy fish as soon as they get in your lfs, leave them for a while, and see how they do in those conditions.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Originally posted by thom336
always check with your dealer the conditions they keep the fish in, and match that in your home aquarium.
Actually, I disagree with this statement. IME, it does you no service to start messing with the natural conditions of your home's tap water, except removing chlorine from city water. It is nothing but a headache to try and alter the ph or hardness of the water of the average fishkeeper. A stable set of conditions that are a little different from the conditions that the fish you choose prefer (within reason), or from the conditions of the tanks at the lfs, is much better than trying to monkey around with your water's natural chemistry and have constant fluctuations (as well as buying tons of corrective chemicals that aren't really neccessary.)

I do agree that you shouldn't go into the lfs on shipping day to pick up a fish, rather, you should wait until the stock has been there a few days, just to make sure everyone's ich-free and eating like they should. Don't forget to quarantine your new fish, if you can, just to be on the safe side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store