Has anyone ever had a problem with an acrylic aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
Has anyone ever had a leak on an acrylic aquarium?

Ever had to repair one?

Has anyone ever buffed out scratches on one? Did it turn out well and were there any challenges during the process?

Just curious how reliable they are compared to glass. I'm thinking about marrying mine and settling down in a small house out in the country.images26GK2JOJ.png

FishL0ver

AC Members
Dec 29, 2018
Not sure about fixing it. I have heard that smearing toothpaste on the scratches on the outside of the tank may fix it. If you want to not have to deal with scratches you should consider a glass aquarium.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, my plant club had a demo of polishing out scratches on acrylic tanks last year (I didn't really pay attention, it didn't seem too hard). I've heard of leaking seams... & that scares me away from them. It seems a lot harder than resealing glass tanks; I've done that several times, no big deal.

But acrylic is a whole different thing. Before I moved to the West Coast, I was told it was the preferred earthquake (-proof?) tank material. But almost no one I know here uses anything but glass. Here they're all about rimless, often low iron glass tanks. Earthquakes be darned! Well, I haven't heard anyone actually say that...but still, you get my drift...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I think acrylic's benefits are it can be molded into shapes other than glass boxes and like fishorama said, it's less likely to crack and shatter under stresses. I know I've had my share of cracks and leaks on glass tanks. I have no experience with acrylic tanks. Never owned one.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I forgot to say I was given a 55g acrylic tank but I hated the 2 or 3 inch rim around the top. Just 2 holes for cords & a slot for a filter. I gave it away without ever setting it up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store