has anyone kept a gold algae eater?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pagipoo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
southwest VA
Visit site
has anyone kept or heard any thing about gold algae eater?

just got a new Dr. foster Simth book and it has a gold algae listed in the live fish section. I have not seen or heard anything about this fish thought they are pretty.

what type of temperament and water conidition do they take and would they be good tank mates for bala shark's. also how big do they actually get?

we have a 125 gallon cycling and are looking for tank mates for bala shark's.

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
Bala's (mine) seem to be relitivly skittish when crowded in the middle layer. What info does your book give on Gold's? Also, remember that you probably want at least 6 Bala's in a 125.

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
1' is one foot. Thats a little big... but I guess a 125 can handle that.

Pagipoo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
southwest VA
Visit site
we already have 4 bala shark's 2 8" inches and 2 about 4 1/2 to 5 inches in length in a 2 tanks due to one of the smaller ones being over aggressive, will try to reintroduce it to the others when they are put in the 125 tank. the smaller one was removed from the tank the other bala's are in because it chased a bala it's size to death and had the 2 bigger ones running for cover, it was wild watching it chase fish over twice it size.

it is in a tank with larger kissing gouramis and is quite meek now in that tank.

MR BUTTIKOFERI

AC Members
Jan 12, 2003
Sydney Australia
Visit site
I had a gold algae eater before,was a really good algae cleaner.

And yes it can grow up to a foot and are territorial fish.
Cant be kept with slow moving fish.

This fish is actually the gold strain of the chinese algae eater which is the one pictured next to 'species profile' on this site.

mollybabes

AC Members
Jan 3, 2003
california
Visit site
I had two GAEs in my tank. One is looking really good, and is rather fat, but likes to swim in circles on the wall. The other started to get skinny, then sloghtly turned brown in spots, then finally died yesterday. I think the skin coloring was a breeding thing-you know, the breeding them to be gold from regular color wasn't very strong in this one. I don't know why he died. I havethe ther one with baby mollys, ghost shrimp and 2 dwarf frogs, and they're all fine. the GAE doesn't pay any attention to them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store