Have a idea but not sure how i can do it!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

forgottenNfound

Registered Member
Feb 12, 2014
Hi All, My idea is I have a tree stump in the yard and I thought hmm that would be a great place to make a pond.. A small one of course..If I can dig around the stump line it and somehow have a pump up thru the stump .. In my head it looks awesome but the reality might be way off..I know when digging out the outer part of stump the roots and all will die off.. and since that will happen maybe after years of decomposing it will look like driftwood.. Maybe im a bit naïve but any thoughts would help!! Thank you ..:crazy:

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
First, the stump must be from a hard wood type tree, if not it will rot and you will just have a large stinky mess. Next, you could likely dig down to the roots and use a hose to wash out the soil around them preserving the root system. Very cool set up for fish or inverts!!! That is a start, if you decide to move forward just post.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
an intriguing thought, but **** that sounds like a lot of work.

can you pull the stump, wash and trim it, build a more conventional pond, and drop the stump back in? i can't imagine how you could seal the floor and sides of a pond that still has roots penetrating it.

SirMuffin

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
my thought would be to dig the stump out and make the pond. You might be able to dry it or to keep it from rotting somehow, I don;t know if you can seal it with anything fish safe. After that you could drill a hole through the middle and mount the pump beneath it. It might not be that much work considering you have to dig for the pond anyway, so just dig the stump out and cut the roots off when you get the pond the size you want. Either way that is a cool idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store