Having Plants with Glo Tetra

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Hello.

I'm planning on buying a bigger tank for my Glo tetra, and I'd like to transfer him to a planted aquarium to help with keeping water quality in check. Do you have any recommendations for good plant species to have in the tank?

Thanks.

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
I guess it really depends on what light and substrate you'll be using. There are plenty of choices for low, medium and high light plants out there. Lower is easier maintenance, meaning the plants will grow much slower resulting in less trimming and since they grow slower they won't need to be fed ferts as much.

Reactions: Reido Dorito

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Wow. That was fast. Haha!

Okay. Would an anubias congensis be alright? I have a couple in my ADF's tank, and they seem to do really well.

The light ought to be fairly weak. Maybe a blue LED or something. The little guy seems to hate bright lights. The aquarium will be next to a window, so I'm not really worried about the plants getting too little light. I plan on using some gravel, if that helps any.

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
Not sure a simple blue light would grow much? Anubias are low light plants. You can also look into java ferns, java moss, rotala rotundifolia, bacopa monnieri, pennywort, crypts, sagittaria, vallisneria. You can also do floating plants to provide shade such as frogbit, water lettuce and salvinia.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
Anubias is a good bet and if the tank gets good indirect light you might consider putting in a couple cuttings of a Pothos plant and growing it out of the tank.
Google Pothos in aquariums to see examples.

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Sounds pretty cool! I'll look into it. Thanks!

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Ended up getting anubias congensis and java ferns, in case anybody still cares. Really nice plants, by the way; my favorites, I'd say.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Of course we still care, lol.Those are nice plants but can (slowly) get a bit large for 20g & smaller tanks.

How about posting a pic? We want to see!

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Yeah, I just figured, since it was an old thread, and all, nobody probably cared. Heck, I forgot about this one, and I posted it. =)

In any case, I appreciate it. I'd love to post a picture, but I'm not with my tanks at the moment. I'll try to get one up as soon as possible.

Have a good day (er... night, depending on what time it is).

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Got the pictures that you requested, fishorama. =D

This was the setup I went with for the soon-to-be Skirts' tank. At the moment, it's not inhabited by anything, aside from some bacteria and the plants (by the way, there are anubias congensis, java fern, and a bamboo plant I picked up today in the tank).

Again, this is just a trial tank; I'll have to get a 20 gallon if it doesn't work out. At the moment, though, this is the biggest one I have, so we'll see how it goes.
Anubias Congensis.JPG Planted Corner in Skirts' Tank.JPG Skirts' Tank.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store