hazy water in new tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I disagree that you need to treat the water first for the initial water change. If you add your Amquel (or other dechlorinator) before refilling the tank, the chlorine won't be around long enough to harm your bacteria. If you let the chlorinated (or chloriminated) water sit in there for a couple of hours, that might be different...

I have aging tanks for treating my water, which has chloramine. These aging tanks have a modest bacterial colony that processes the ammonia released when I add sodium thiosulfate to neutralize the chlorine. When I refill my aging tanks, I add water, then add the dechlorinator when the tank is full. I suffer no loss of biofilter when doing this.

I don't think adding tap water & dechlorinator simultaneously will have any negative effects on your biofilter. If you add the dechlor first, and then the water, the chlorine will not around for more than a few moments. Don't believe it? Buy a chlorine/chloramine test and see for yourself.

HTH,
Jim

wetmanNY

AC Members
lurking

Amuro, you're getting excellemt advice here. As for keeping an Arowana in an aquarium, have you seen the footage of a fullgrown Arowana leaping four feet out of the water to snatch an insect? Beautiful. Not a creature to cage in an aquarium!

Small fish in big tanks: wonderful! Pretty big fish in humungous tanks: that's good too!

amuro129

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Thanks all. I really appreciate the advice.

Funny thing is that when I asked for ammonia at the LFS, the clerk gave me a weird look and asked me why. I said I needed to cycle the tank and get some bacteria growth. She said no no that's all wrong you need stress zyme for bacteria growth. I said I'll pass. I didn't much feel like explaining the the process of fishless cycling. So I left. Just thought I'd share the experience.

amuro129

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I just ran a test on my water, I HAVEN'T yet put any ammonia in. My pH is 7.8, ammonia is 0ppm, nitrite is 0ppm.

is this normal?

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Originally posted by amuro129
Thanks all. I really appreciate the advice.

Funny thing is that when I asked for ammonia at the LFS, the clerk gave me a weird look and asked me why. I said I needed to cycle the tank and get some bacteria growth. She said no no that's all wrong you need stress zyme for bacteria growth. I said I'll pass. I didn't much feel like explaining the the process of fishless cycling. So I left. Just thought I'd share the experience.
Welcome to the world of informed fishkeeping! You get a gold star for not wavering in the face of a pointless Stresszyme recommendation! Kudos to you!

Jim

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
Originally posted by amuro129
I just ran a test on my water, I HAVEN'T yet put any ammonia in. My pH is 7.8, ammonia is 0ppm, nitrite is 0ppm.

is this normal?
yep, that's normal. the pH might drop while your cycling though, so you might want to keep an eye on it if you have a specific target (read: test again when the cycle is done). other than that, looks good!

I had the same experience asking my LFS for ammonia, "no, you don't want to put ammonia in your tank, but we have this ammonia remover you might be interested in?"

"um, no thanks" :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store