Help Anubias Dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumtnfishy

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016
Hello can you tell me what is causing this in my Anubias? They are only a couple of days old in the tank. I'm still messing around with all my lighting options. Did I give them too much light or?
I have flourite underneath the gravel
I use seachem flourish and excel (even though most Anubias don't really benefit from added CO2.)
My pH may be a little high it's 7.8
Water quality is great

Also could this happen do to too much root exposure or is that an issue at all with rhyzomes?
Thanks!

20170328_145333.jpg

20170328_145310.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It does look like it might be burned from higher light than it was used to before you got it. Is it just 1 or 2 leaves per anubias? Older leaves? Clip off the damaged leaves & see if new growth looks good. Allow lots of time, ie months.
I once had 1 that had some weird brown fibers down the center of the rhizome. I kept cutting it back to white "good" rhizome but the brown spread anyway. I ended up tossing it after a long while

sumtnfishy

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016
Hey thanks! Well I will back off the lights. I have a feeling a fried them. :( lesson learned the hard way
What about the roots. What happens if a rhizome plant keeps floating up and roots are exposed? I do have then tied to wood but I'm still struggling

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
It looks like something is eating it. What do you have in your tank?

aquariumtanks

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2017
In the second picture, the leaf was rotten and widespread from torn part. Firstly please check your light system if it is too much light. Secondly It might caused by bacteria or fungus. If the leaf got fungus then the rotten spot will be widespread. You should cut off the rotten leaves, disinfect with medicine you buy in fish stores. Please quarantine your fish to other tank before apply fungus medicine.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Honestly, that seems surprising that it could be the lights if you've only had them a couple of days, especially if it's only the anubias. To me, some of that looks more like physical damage to the leaves, like they were folded or pinched. Removing the leaves should be all that's needed.

And no, it won't be an issue if the rhizomes are fully exposed. I have some that I've not gotten around to tying down that just float in the water. It impacts the growth pattern, so they grow in odd directions, more like a ball, but they're fine otherwise.

Reactions: sumtnfishy

sumtnfishy

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016
It looks like something is eating it. What do you have in your tank?
Hey tanker
Yah I thought about that to. I have threadfin rainbows, bristlenose plecos, one red hump geophagus, rasboras, ram, Cory cat, candy cane tetras. The plecos are not the culprit. I watch them gently clean the leaves of algae. I wasent sure but now I know they are good.

sumtnfishy

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016
In the second picture, the leaf was rotten and widespread from torn part. Firstly please check your light system if it is too much light. Secondly It might caused by bacteria or fungus. If the leaf got fungus then the rotten spot will be widespread. You should cut off the rotten leaves, disinfect with medicine you buy in fish stores. Please quarantine your fish to other tank before apply fungus medicine.
I would love to check my lighting but no one will give me an explanation how to rate my lighting sytem...low..medium...high...etc. I'm frustrated for sure

sumtnfishy

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016
Also how do you know if a plant has fungus at the time of purchase?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Fungus is always present, but only attacks dead or dying tissue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store