Help...had to put "down" my oscar

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lisa01

AC Members
Sep 7, 2005
I just came home from a Business trip for work and found my Oscar half dead....no I know oscars can "play dead"...he was 14 years old. I sadly filled a 5 gal bucket full of mostly ice...some water and put him down.

In less then a week (I was gone for a week) He came down with Ick, hole in the head, and had worms all over his body...He was a terriable color laying on the gravel.....I had to put him down I couldn't bear it.

The poctomus (suckey fish) seems unaffected. I am going to the LPS in the morning...What do I get to posiably save him???? Meds???? I haven't had any fish illness in 10 years and I don't have a clue anymore

How soon (do I add more fish? a week? Two)

I have the heat cranked up to 82 and have added 10 tablespoons of salt - per the box)......

:sad:

Any other steps I should take?

Lisa

Halo

Puppies with Fins!
Sep 18, 2005
Sorry for your loss! If you pleco shrugged it all off, I would'nt treat him till he showed signs. I would do a lot of water changes, and a little ich meds for a while though. If it's in your tank, it could get him.

As for new fish.... At least a month. You want time for the ich cycle to break completely, and time to mourn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store