Help ID My Catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pearlgirl

Registered Member
Apr 28, 2020
I’m hoping someone could help identify what type of Catfish I have. I was told it is a Pitcus catfish when I purchased him at one inch in size. Now a year old he’s about 6 inches long. He’s very shy and it’s difficult to take a decent picture. Since these were taken I’ve put him in a 70 gallon tank. I’m wondering though if he’s reached his full growth. I’ve looked on Google and have yet to find one like him. I’d appreciate any information someone could provide. Thank you!
63DB9AFD-BBA4-4503-B8D2-9BD6A54984B8.jpeg95952454-65A4-4D82-846E-4597D6CBE3BF.jpegE60D6D8C-71E8-4AC7-8B9E-FFE4DDEEB066.jpeg

1D88175E-7B0C-49BF-8DD8-6EE78A2D3026.jpeg

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Your pics are a bit too close up, can you take a couple more a bit further away?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
It's a Synodontis species. The single line of spots down the side suggests a stressed S. notatus, but it looks like the unpaired fins and maybe the tail are spotted which suggests one of the hybrids that keep showing up in the hobby these days when combined with the pattern of the body spots. It looks really stressed . The apparent lateral line erosion and head erosion around the nostrils would support that. It also looks like the pectoral fins are pretty damaged. Maybe it's just the pictures.

Can you get some better pics? A better look at the fins would go a long way toward a definite ID. It might give us a chance to make some recommendations about how to heal it up.

WYite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
It's a Synodontis species. The single line of spots down the side suggests a stressed S. notatus, but it looks like the unpaired fins and maybe the tail are spotted which suggests one of the hybrids that keep showing up in the hobby these days when combined with the pattern of the body spots. It looks really stressed . The apparent lateral line erosion and head erosion around the nostrils would support that. It also looks like the pectoral fins are pretty damaged. Maybe it's just the pictures.

Can you get some better pics? A better look at the fins would go a long way toward a definite ID. It might give us a chance to make some recommendations about how to heal it up.

WYite
A syno was my initial guess too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store