Help! Injured Goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thebeasle

AC Members
Nov 12, 2012
Hey guys. I was vacuuming the tank and doing a water change the other night. I have a 75 gallon so I have a gravel vacuum that hooks up to a sink faucet. Anyway, I left the tank alone for a minute and my black moor swam up into the gravel vacuum. It didn't suck his eye completely off, but it did suck it out of the socket. It's a little gross, but here are pictures.

smallfish1.jpgsmallfish2.jpg

My question is.... any suggestions for what to do with him? Will the eye rot and fall off? Will it eventually heal and go back into socket? He seems to be okay. He's not as active as he used to be and seems to be a little disoriented. Still, he survived and is able to find food. I kind of treat him like my Ryukin with swim bladder issues.... I'll let him live as long as he can eat.

And for anyone else considering goldfish, please learn from my mistakes. I bought a moor with extreme bubble eyes and a ryukin with an extremely short body because they looked cool. If I had to do it again, I would avoid both those features because they will cause health problems down the road.

smallfish1.jpg smallfish2.jpg

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I think he will likely survive as long as the tank is keep in excellent condition. If the nerve ending is severed then the eye will fall out.

thebeasle

AC Members
Nov 12, 2012
Thank you for the reply. He's doing fine. The eyeball is still attached but deflating and rotting. I'm hoping it falls out soon so the socket can heal over and I will have a one-eyed fish. I was really scared when it first happened but he might make it after all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store