Help me please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Acarp83

Registered Member
Mar 8, 2017
My pleco has been floating belly up at the top of the water off and on today and just when I'm sure he is dead he just swims off. Can someone please tell me what is wrong with him?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
We need a lot more info to try & help. What size tank & fish, other fish? Diet? How long have you owned it? What are you water tests numbers? Water changes; how much & how often? Do you know what species of pleco it is? A pic might help too.

Acarp83

Registered Member
Mar 8, 2017
We need a lot more info to try & help. What size tank & fish, other fish? Diet? How long have you owned it? What are you water tests numbers? Water changes; how much & how often? Do you know what species of pleco it is? A pic might help too.

Umm were haven't owned a tank in a long time but... We have a 55 gal tank up and running 2 weeks have Bala sharks, rainbow and albino sharks, tiger barbs, and a peacock eel with it. I've checked the water level with a dip stick and says it is neutral and we have tried to give algae wafers but other fish tend to eat them

Acarp83

Registered Member
Mar 8, 2017
Umm were haven't owned a tank in a long time but... We have a 55 gal tank up and running 2 weeks have Bala sharks, rainbow and albino sharks, tiger barbs, and a peacock eel with it. I've checked the water level with a dip stick and says it is neutral and we have tried to give algae wafers but other fish tend to eat them
IMG_20170308_204916.jpg IMG_20170308_204916.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
What size fish is it? It looks small but of a kind that gets big. How many of each kind of "shark" & their sizes do you have? Eel? It sounds like a lot of fish...at least at their potential sizes...& we must always stock tanks to "adult" sizes. Can you try feeding some wafer type foods after tank lights are off? It may be starving.

What "tests" are you using? "neutral" is not an answer to any test I know. API tests are best, take a water sample to a fish store & get an actual number, not just "ok" for an answer.

How often do you change water & how much each time?

Acarp83

Registered Member
Mar 8, 2017
What size fish is it? It looks small but of a kind that gets big. How many of each kind of "shark" & their sizes do you have? Eel? It sounds like a lot of fish...at least at their potential sizes...& we must always stock tanks to "adult" sizes. Can you try feeding some wafer type foods after tank lights are off? It may be starving.

What "tests" are you using? "neutral" is not an answer to any test I know. API tests are best, take a water sample to a fish store & get an actual number, not just "ok" for an answer.

How often do you change water & how much each time?

Sorry yes they are all small but will be big we didn't think of that at the time. The test is a ph tester that came with our set up we haven't changed the water yet he had this spot on his head I just noticed

IMG_20170309_164353.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Most of us experienced fish keepers change water weekly, 30% to even 90%. pH is very much less important that ammonia, nitrIte & nitrAte especially in a tank that is likely over stocked. Take a water sample to a local shop & don't settle for "it's fine"; we want actual numbers!

So, you didn't say what size tank or size & number of each fish. We need to know.

What your seeing could be from poor water quality. Your pleco looks like it may be thin too. What & how much do you feed? Don't expect it to just eat algae, most are omnivores (meat & plant eaters).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store