Help! Mysterious Spot on Betta's Head?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Thank you! I did a 30% water change and checked my levels: nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia were all at 0
Do 75% weekly water changes as they dilute out more harmful substances out of water that are potentially harmful to fish and you will have to do daily ones now as the tank might not be cycled... For how long do you have the tank and fish if I may ask?

hickory_smoke

AC Members
Oct 12, 2020
Arizona
Real Name
Blair
Do 75% weekly water changes as they dilute out more harmful substances out of water that are potentially harmful to fish and you will have to do daily ones now as the tank might not be cycled... For how long do you have the tank and fish if I may ask?
I've had the aquarium itself around a month, I cycled it a week before putting fish/frogs/snails in. Every water change I've added Prime, API Stress Coat+, API Stress Zyme+, and Fritz Zyme 7 to make sure I have a good supply of beneficial bacteria in the tank. I'll do a 75% this Saturday for my weekly water change as recommended. The spot on his head has actually seemed to heal up a lot, and now its faded and barely visible. I'm hoping it continues to heal, but I just wanna play it safe.

• Love
Reactions: Sprinkle

hickory_smoke

AC Members
Oct 12, 2020
Arizona
Real Name
Blair
Cycling the tank for a week is not enough, the cycle itself takes 4-6 weeks time!
Its good that you add Prime, it will detoxify ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for 24 hrs and will detoxify chlorine permanentely. Overall, I'm extremly happy that the spot is healing up! ❤
Thank you! I was just about to leave for work and realized something looks off with him, I used a flashlight to check and I'm now worried he has velvet :( not sure if it's his coloration since his colors have been coming out a lot more since I got him, but I'm worried. I know velvet can kill and I'm not sure how to treat it in my tank, as stated I have Paracleanse and Maracyn on hand, I was able to take two pictures before leaving for work. I'm sorry to bother you again with this, but I'd be very grateful for any advice you may have.

20201022_144617.jpg

20201022_144607.jpg

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Bettas have this velvet like dust and its natural for them. Does he scratch on things? If not, you're fine ^-^

I forgot to mention this, use only one water conditioner at once. I will recommend Prime. I don't know what the Fritz one contains, but API stress zyme and stress coat contain aloe ver that will burn his gills over time. I stopped using tetra aqua safe or whatever its called because of that very reason. I use API tap water conditioner, not stress coat or zyme, and it does not contain it and is concentrated and lasts for a long time :)

hickory_smoke

AC Members
Oct 12, 2020
Arizona
Real Name
Blair
Bettas have this velvet like dust and its natural for them. Does he scratch on things? If not, you're fine ^-^

I forgot to mention this, use only one water conditioner at once. I will recommend Prime. I don't know what the Fritz one contains, but API stress zyme and stress coat contain aloe ver that will burn his gills over time. I stopped using tetra aqua safe or whatever its called because of that very reason. I use API tap water conditioner, not stress coat or zyme, and it does not contain it and is concentrated and lasts for a long time :)
Lately he's been exploring the tank a bit more and will swim on the bottom and look at some of the plants, but I've never seen him rubbing against any of them before. There is a rock with some small anubias leaves he'll occasionally chill on, but again nothing where he's lethargic or scratching. I'm hoping its just natural coloration since the golden bits aren't like flecks or spots like the images of velvet I've seen. Thank you, I was just worried and saw it right before I left for work.

Also thank you for the advice! I'll keep on with Prime! Fritz Zyme 7 is just to add some nitrifying bacteria to the water, I checked on their website and they didn't mention that the product contained aloe vera so I can keep using that one! Thank you for letting me know about the aloe vera, I had no idea! I'll just use Prime, then along with the Fritz Zyme 7 whenever I need it :) Again I really appreciate your help and advice, thank you so much! I just want to do what is best and make sure everyone is thriving and happy and healthy!

Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I’m glad he’s not scratching ^^ Fritz should have ingredient list on its bottle, just check it for aloe vera, no aloe then you’re fine! ❤What are your water parameters for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If ammonia and nitrite are both 0ppm, you should stop adding Fritz. If they’re both above 0ppm, do daily 75% water changes and check if ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm, and if they are both 0ppm for 7 continuous days, you’re tank is cycled! ❤ I keep to this rule „Sprinkle’s Rule” xD and I cycle tanks that way. My lfs asked me to cycle their tanks as I do not have to stand up lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store