HELP NOW!!! Place for 55gal not big enough or level!!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Blue goldfish

AC Members
Sep 15, 2002
TN
After 4 hrs of moving around the tanks off of my 47 7/8" black metal table and such i have found out the table is not smooth enough and is 1/8" to 1/6" to short. Can i place a piece of plywood on the metal table and then place the 55gal tank on top of that to provid levelness and support for the 1/6" i'm short on????????

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Um, are you sure the table can support the weight? A 55 gallon tank weighs in at about 500 lbs. with just water, not counting gravel...

If you're certain the legs aren't gonna fall out from under it, then yes, the plywood will work just fine, and you can shim the legs and tabletop to make sure they're level. I would suggest at least 1/2 to 3/4" plywood for this application.

I would make the suggestion that a stand would probably be a safer choice. Something that was built to withstand the weight, rather than a piece of furniture that is not.

Good luck! Hope everything works out.... in case of failing inspiration, I wouldn't see anything wrong in a tank on the floor, but that's just me....(I would live inside the underwater tunnel at Ripley's Aquarium if I could...)

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
If you are trying to make your tank level, you have to make the stand level otherwise, if you put something under one side of the tank to lift it, you can break it.

Orbitorly

Out in left field...
Agreed with queen, I have a 29 gal on a a dresser that's press board, its been holding well but you can see where the main board where the tank is laying on in the middle is buckeling. So I'd recomend getting a real Aquarium stand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store