Help! Ph tests testing in both ranges?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GoldenOranda97

AC Members
Oct 29, 2019
So I tested my PH the other day and wasn't sure to use high range or low range. So I did both. The low range came back with about 6.0, and the high range said it was 8.8+. I don't know which to believe. I could not find any information from my water supply company other that "PH ranges from 6 to 8".. thanks.. Which test should I believe? I'm going to do them both again now and see if I get different numbers since I just did a water change yesterday.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Test again, that range it pretty huge. What is you tap water range? This time of year, depending where you live, things can be...different. Can you give us a state or area where you live?

GoldenOranda97

AC Members
Oct 29, 2019
I'm in Woodinville Washington. I'll test again tomorrow when I'm home. It is such a big range, and both tests showed the edge of their scales last time which is why I'm so confused

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would suspect an error in testing first. Also, compare your tank readings to a tap sample that has sat out overnight to gas off.

GoldenOranda97

AC Members
Oct 29, 2019
I did the test again. I must have done it wrong the first time. Its testing at a constant 6.4 out the tap and in the tanks. All is well! Going to increase it with ph up

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It's often a mistake to "fix" your pH. What fish do you have now or plan to keep? You don't want a yoyo effect, that's hard on all fish...

GoldenOranda97

AC Members
Oct 29, 2019
I was just going to up it with one dose for the bettas and goldfish not continuously. I have 5 tanks with bettas, fancy goldfish, guppies, danios, neon and black skirt tetras, paradise fish, plattys and white could minnows. All well established tanks, between 1-6 years old, but as seasons change my citys water source fluctuates between rivers and what not so ph varies by a bit.

Vignette

Registered Member
Nov 24, 2019
I'm sure I read in the instructions that if the water stays the same color as the drops that you should go with the lower ph test.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store