Help Requested: Newbie setting up new 90G Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cindy Holden

AC Members
Feb 13, 2018
When fish are on a pale substrate, THEY GO PALE IN COLOR to hide...if you want to see your fish BRIGHTLY COLORED use BLACK GRAVEL..their colors will shine . With my discus, I cover 3 sides of the tank with black paper also ...

Cindy Holden

AC Members
Feb 13, 2018
When fish are on a pale substrate, THEY GO PALE IN COLOR to hide...if you want to see your fish BRIGHTLY COLORED use BLACK GRAVEL..their colors will shine . With
Thank you everyone!

I am not graduating to thinking about how I'll design my tank. With the plants, I'll need driftwood. Any considerations between Malaysian driftwood, spiderwood and Manzanita? Also, any good sources to buy them?
DRIFTWOOD helps make the tank ACIDIC ......KNOW what fish like acidic water and what fish like alkaline water... chiclids (ANGEL FISH) like it a little acidic . LEARN ABOUT Ph.....read everything you can ...here is the easiest plant to grow in a slightly acidic tank (LOOKS GREAT, grass is 12 - 18 inches tall) GIANT JUNGLE VAL (there is a smaller version, you want GIANT JUNGLE VAL) google that plant and look at images..to get some ideas.. you only need 8 or 10 little individual plants to make a 90 G tank look great..when they start looking rough, simply replace them...dying plants give off AMONIA=NITRATES ...so no dying plants ...

Cindy Holden

AC Members
Feb 13, 2018
Thanks everyone - some really good advice here.

I am sold on fishless cycling. I'll gift my goldfish to a local pet shop that accepts goldfish and use the filter, gravel and plastic plants from this 10G aquarium to speed up cycling in the new 90G. I assume that would help? I don't have any other friend with an established aquarium, but I could ask the shop that sold me the fishtank...

I live in Chicago. And thanks again for the warm welcome! You are all making me feel less anxious! And more excited!
Just throw the goldfish YOU ALREADY HAVE in the 90G tank for a couple of weeks! they will do the work for you.
..( use their filter contents also)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store