HELP-sick fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zelda000

AC Members
Jan 2, 2003
Visit site
hey i came home today from school only to discover that my gourami, pleco and koulie loach all have massive amounts of white spots all over there skin, i put some melafix in the water, but i am jsut wating to see what happens. what else should i do. Also is was to my unfortanate, that i discoverd my pirhanas extramly sick, one was dead, the other two are half floating around sinking, not moving only breathing, i put melafix in that tank to. as far as the pirhanas i got some live plants about 2 days ago from a friends and not hacing any were to put them i just put them in the pirhana tank which is a 10g. the pirhanas are really small about 2/3 inch each, they semmes ot like it but, today i dont think it was too good for them. any suggestions what should i do, i am losing all my fish.

SoulkeepeR

Social Lurker
Mar 15, 2002
Colorado Springs, CO
what you got here is ICK, its a common decease cause my irritation of the fish.

my guess is that you did not wait the 5-6 months to let your tank cycle, thous causing the irritation through high ammonia and nitrite levels. one possible problem is that your tank is way overstocked for your current bio load, in other words yer gonna need a bigger tank and better filtration bud, also it could be temperature and PH levels, do some research on your fish and do some tests on the ph, then adjust the PH to what your fish require.

melafix is....OK, I prefer not to use any medications because it just is a last resort type thing. anyway to help cure the ick is to raise temperatures about 10 degree's, and add some FRESHWATER salt to the aquarium. that will get rid of the ick for a little while, but to fully cure it your gonna have to find out what whats causing the irritation first.

pretty much every person that gets into this hobby always starts out with out waiting or the cycle to be over with or overstocks their tank, your not the only one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store