Help: Starting Plants in My 125 Gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
I'm taking the plunge to try live plants in my 125 gallon tank. I have already planted 4. I don't know what they are yet. I'm not good at the scientific names.
The burning questions are; 1) Is a CO2 infuser necessary for growing live plants? 2) My sub-straight is 1/2 smooth river rock. Do I need to change that? My lights are T8. That is as far as my knowledge goes right now.
I will post some picture of the plants I have soon.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What do you want to achieve with plants? Are they the focus, supplemental for cleaning, or decorative? What fish will or are in there currently?

CO2 isn't required for all planted tanks, but if your goal is to have a lush forest, it definitely helps. Some plants won't do as well without it, but CO2 is just one part of the equation. All my tanks are planted, none are currently running CO2 since I don't have any quick growing plants and don't fertilize.

On substrate, it will dictate what plants will do well. Do you mean half inch river rock? If so, avoid stem plants and rooted plants. Go for anubias and java ferns that will attach to large rocks or pieces of wood. With large rocks for substrate, anything with roots won't be able to stay planted, and won't get the nutrients needed. It will also be very difficult to clean the rocks without tearing up plants.

Reactions: fishorama

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Laura, sounds like a start! Assuming this is a 6ft 125g tank, that size offers lots of options, but just to add to Sheila's advice, you're going to want to research substrates and lighting. River rocks are going to seriously limit things. Same with the T8 fluorescent lighting if it's just 1 or 2 lamps.

I also do not add CO2 or ferts to my planted tanks, nor do I use a special plant fortified substrate. The plants I keep do not require it and I do not wish to have huge amounts of overgrowth.

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
Thank you Sheila and Joel. It is 1/2 inch river rock and you are right, the rooted one I bought are having a hard time staying out. The pleco uproots them every night. I put some Java Fern in it just seems like its disappearing a little at a time. I have quite a few fish in the tank. It is a 6 ft tank. I don't want it heavily planted, but I would l like to get rid of the plastic and go to live plants.
Joel, there are two of the T8 lights.
I have:
1 large glibbaceps
2 Groumies
2 Angelfish
2 Glo Fish
8 Rummy Nose
8 Neons
4 Silver Tips
4 Glo Light Tetras
7 Cory Cats
5 Mollies, 2 Platies, all of which I am rehoming. (I'm over the live bearers.)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The easiest way with what you have is what OrionGirl said , java ferns & anubias. Have you seen your pleco grazing on the fern? Do you feed him fresh veggies like zucchini or romaine? I don't think they actually eat java fern or anubias but their rasping on surface algae can damage them. He's probably just so big that any substrate plants will get trashed when he swims by.

With your lights you should probably need have wood tall enough to boost the plants almost halfway up from the substrate. Not little twiggy wood either, the pleco might like to graze on wood or the biofilm/algae on it.

In spring you may be able to buy BIG anubias with big leaves intended for ponds or big tanks like yours. A lfs near me had spectacular 1s for $20-25 I think. You have the tank for it & it could be an awesome off-center focal point.

I'm glad you're over livebearers, lol, me too.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Virginia, you should start a new thread of your own. There's a new post button at the top of the plants forum.

Please tell us the size of your tank, lights, substrate, fish you want, everything! & then we will ask some more & can offer better suggestions for you. Laura's tank is very large & likely has different issues than yours will.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store