Help trying to save friends TANK ! And FISH !

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

@PufferBoys_3

AC Members
Dec 1, 2019
So my friend hasn’t really done any maintenance on his take for almost a year has two fish inside a huge pacu and African ciclid and I did about a 65% water change and the picture I tagged was the end result and I’m planning on going back tomorrow and cleaning his canister and taking out all the water and gravel and replacing it , IS IT SAFE TO DO THIS ?

83D36832-73A2-4CD7-985A-8BB67F024263.jpeg

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
And then watch this video with your friend...

The adult size of a pacu is bigger as that tank.
See if the Ohio Fish Rescue can pick it up... or someone like that. It's the best you can do to help your friend and his fish.

Reactions: @PufferBoys_3

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I would start with daily 25% water changes so as to avoid shocking the fish with different water parameters.

Don't forget to add the appropriate amount of water conditioner that treats either chlorine or chloramine, depending on the water source.

Do NOT replace the filter media at this time. You can used dechlorinated tap water to rinse any canister filter media to remove the filth and IF the filter uses fine media pads, it's OK to replace those.

I would wait and not remove the gravel at this time for at least 2 weeks but you could use a gravel siphon to remove any dirt and debris that is trapped in the gravel. Do this in sections until you've removed 25% of the tank water and then add fresh water and dechlorinate it. Consider this your 25% water change for one day.

Are you familiar with maintaining an aquarium? Not sure of your level of expertise.

@PufferBoys_3

AC Members
Dec 1, 2019
I would start with daily 25% water changes so as to avoid shocking the fish with different water parameters.

Don't forget to add the appropriate amount of water conditioner that treats either chlorine or chloramine, depending on the water source.

Do NOT replace the filter media at this time. You can used dechlorinated tap water to rinse any canister filter media to remove the filth and IF the filter uses fine media pads, it's OK to replace those.

I would wait and not remove the gravel at this time for at least 2 weeks but you could use a gravel siphon to remove any dirt and debris that is trapped in the gravel. Do this in sections until you've removed 25% of the tank water and then add fresh water and dechlorinate it. Consider this your 25% water change for one day.

Are you familiar with maintaining an aquarium? Not sure of your level of expertise.
I did back to back 25% water changes and I added some water conditioner to help out and I recently cleaned out a bit of his canister because it was extremely filthy like I don’t have a picture but it looking like pudding that should give and idea how all the media was inside and it’s cleared up a lot but the gravel is still really dirty

@PufferBoys_3

AC Members
Dec 1, 2019
I did back to back 25% water changes and I added some water conditioner to help out and I recently cleaned out a bit of his canister because it was extremely filthy like I don’t have a picture but it looking like pudding that should give and idea how all the media was inside and it’s cleared up a lot but the gravel is still really dirty
I know a few things about maintenance on fish tanks I have a tank of my own 30 gallon with a Green spotted puffer

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
All this water changing going on and no posting of tank testing.....

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Was this API master test reading done before or after all the water changes? pH is reading 8.8? Do you have a read for you tap water after it sits over night?

I think the main thing is, maintenance is being done, although these poor guys need a proper home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store