Help with my 29 gallon FOWLR

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IrishMak

Don't blink
Aug 20, 2007
NH, USA
I have a 29 gallon FOWLR tank that has been running for about a year. It's never gotten to the point that I am completely happy with it, but lately it has been really bad. I have green algae (I think cyano. At least it looks and feels like freshwater cyano) everywhere. I scrape it out, do water changes, and within days, it's all over everything again. I also cannot keep snails alive in there. I put them in and within weeks, they are all dead. I have one true clown percula in there who seems to be doing great- he's active, and eats well. I keep the light off most of the time because of the algae. The room does get some natural light, though not directly on the tank. I'm afraid to put anything else in there right now.

Here are the stats as of this morning:
Specific gravity- .025 (a bit high?)
pH 7.8
NO2 0
Ammonia .5
NO3 0

It's 29 gallons and there is between 30-35 lbs of live rock in it, with aragonite sand as substrate. Just the one clown fish in there right now. Temp runs 80-81 degrees.

It's frustrating. I did a lot of research and asked lots of questions before I started it up. I know they are two different things with different requirements, but I can get a freshwater tank up and running in no time with very few problems. This saltwater one is driving me mad. Any ideas on how to get this tank turned around into a nice tank?

Thanks!

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
I agree, ammonia needs to be 0. First thing to do is find out why you have ammonia, after 1 year you shouldn't be having that issue. What kind of test kit are you using?

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
I agree the ammonia is a big problem.

IrishMak

Don't blink
Aug 20, 2007
NH, USA
NO3 is 0. I don't use R/O water, but I do use an API tap water filter.

IrishMak

Don't blink
Aug 20, 2007
NH, USA
I'm using API saltwater basic test kit

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
If you only have the API Kit you probably don't have a phosphate test, that could be a cause as well. A Tuxedo urchin and some hermits would goto work on it but you still need to find and eliminate the cause, do you have a sump?

IrishMak

Don't blink
Aug 20, 2007
NH, USA
No sump and really no room for one. No, I don't have a phosphate test kit. Would it come from anything other than the water I use? Because I've had the water tested for the freshwater tanks and there is minimal phosphate.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
For SW, I would recommend RO water. Although it isn't as crucial for FO as opposed to a reef set up, tap water has a lot of crap in it.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
What was the amount of phosphate found when you had it tested? Some salt mixes have a fair amount of phosphates in them that along with some phosphate in your tap could do it. Some other additives people use in tanks can contain it as well. I would consider getting a RODI unit, may not want to lay out $150 for one but in the long term its cheaper then replacing $30-40 API filters every what 40-100 gallons?

First thing first I would test the tank for it to see if that is the problem, if it is then their are methods that can be used to reduce it(chemipure elite, vodka method, etc)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store