Help with plant suggestions and their placement (Low tech)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AHARDY

Registered Member
Apr 1, 2018
Hi,

I hope this is the correct place for this post...

I just redid my 75g and looking to add some plants. I am doing a low tech planted tank. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with plant suggestions and possible plant placement? I dont want a heavily planted tank. I used paint on one of my photos to show what I am aiming for as far as how many plants and their placement. Pic 4 is birds-eye view of left half of tank and pic 5 is the right half.

Yellow paint is for background plants, orange is for mid ground height plants, blue is either mid or foreground plants, and green is foreground plants.

• Plants I currently have are 1 red rubin sword, 1 amazon sword, and 1 other amazon plant but i am not sure exactly what it is. (I know my plants look terrible. I am trying to salvage them from my previously failed tank.)

• Fish are 1 nerite snail, 1 angel fish, and 1 pleco.

• Filter is Fluval 406

• Light is Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Fully Automated Aquarium LED

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

image1.jpg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I have a 75g low tech tank & I grow all kinds of plants but it's a jungle, lol.

What kind of lights do you have?

If you don't use root tab ferts for your swords you should.

I would attach java ferns &/or anubias to the wood. Both have several types available.

Cryptocorynes come in many kinds & colors too, they (like any of the wendtii) would work well in your blue & green areas. Some like c. balansae are tall & thin & might be good background plants (your yellow) but are slow growers.

Other background plants to consider are wisteria (a stem plant) or watersprite (a fern). They're kind of similar in a bushy way & need some control.

Reactions: AHARDY

AHARDY

Registered Member
Apr 1, 2018
Thanks for the suggestions!
Well, I have a 75g low tech tank & I grow all kinds of plants but it's a jungle, lol.

What kind of lights do you have?

If you don't use root tab ferts for your swords you should.

I would attach java ferns &/or anubias to the wood. Both have several types available.

Cryptocorynes come in many kinds & colors too, they (like any of the wendtii) would work well in your blue & green areas. Some like c. balansae are tall & thin & might be good background plants (your yellow) but are slow growers.

Other background plants to consider are wisteria (a stem plant) or watersprite (a fern). They're kind of similar in a bushy way & need some control.
Thanks for he reply! My light is Finnex Planted+ 24/7. I ordered it off of amazon. I always wondered if it produced enough light.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store