Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nusema

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
Hurley, MS
My convicts and pictus cats are iinfected with ich, do I need to worry about any complications with treatment, specificly the convict babies and the kitties. Thanks :bowing:

Matt W

AC Members
Jul 30, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
codewalkers.com
I believe that the pictus cats don't have scales, which means they are in for a ride if you do medication. I believe the recommendation is to go half dose on meds if you have fish without scales in the tank.

That being said, I would try raising the temp and adding salt. I'll let a more seasoned hobbiest give the procedure for that.

inxs

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Litchfield, CT
www.picturetrail.com
Raising the temp slowly to about 85-86 and adding some salt can be used in combination with medication.
Some people swear by just heat with or without salt and frequent large waterchanges to get rid off ick - I have tried it but it was not fully effective for me.

I have successfully treated plecos in the past with a combination of Formalin and Malachite green. This combination is present in most common Ick medications.

When you medicate just follow the directions on the bottle and do it in combination with raised temperature , increased airaition, stop feeding and large waterchanges (50%)

When I treat for Ick I do a 50% change before each treatment and do treatments on days:1, 3,6 and 10 at which point they should be cured. At day 12 do a large waterchange and filter with activated carbon.

Make sure it is Ick and not Oodium (Velvet) which also presents itself as small white spots but smaller then ick . If it is Oodium it is much nastier and you need to put the lights out and cover the tank in addition to the treatment . Also keep treating for 30 days with additional treatments on day 15 , 20 and 28 - finishing with waterchange and carbon on day 30.

Best of luck

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I have had great success using heat and salt. Raise the temperature up to 85F and add 2tbsp salt/ 10g. Keep up 2 days after cysts have disapeared and the heat a week after.

The fish that I have used this on have lost all their cycsts within a day.

Nusema

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
Hurley, MS
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the help, I have decided after researching to use the salt and heat treatment, It's a 40 gall tank and I put 80 tsp of table salt so far in 20 tsp intervals over the past two days, what or when should I expect to start seeing results? The tank is still covered in ich, how long should I wait before trying some meds in the tank if I see no results?

Nusema

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
Hurley, MS
Thanks eveyone, the salt treatment is turning out nice and the ick has started to subside, I am gonig to continue the heat and reduce the salt to 10 teaspon per 40 gallons a day. I think that the reduction of salt will be enough to kill the ick and not put too much stress on the fish.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
The salt kills the ich, if I'm not mistaken, so reducing dosage probably won't help. What is the temperature in your tank?

Nusema

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
Hurley, MS
84, to my understanding of salt, new salt is not neccasary because the old salt is not all going to be picked up by the filter?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store