Helping friend with a 150 gallon tank - Need some help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
GPH has little to do with filtration capacity.

eheims can support much larger loads and have pretty low flow rates compared to most HOB filters.

alot of wet/dry filters, trickle filters, etc. are setup to only flow at 2X the tanks volume per hour or less. They can easily keep up with the load at this flow rate.

large filters like these give bacteria alot of oxygen, nutrients, and plenty of surface area for them to attach to.

Many filters pass water through the media so fast the bacteria does not get a chance to breakdown alot of the ammonia and nitrite on the first pass.

Last edited:

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
I do too. I like them because of two reasons.

1. the mech and bio filtration is seperate. you can toss the entire filter media without touching your bacteria population

2. when the power goes out, the bio media isnt submerged under water so the colony could live longer.

jdheff1982

No you're not! I'm Sparticus!
Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
Hey thanks for the reply!!! My friend has a lot of money, so getting what it takes to keep the tank looking good is not a problem. Just curious though, since the eheim run at about 1050L per hour (1 150gal cycle per hour), that would be enough to keep the tank clean??? I would almost want to something to help aid. How about surface skimmers and such????? BTW, what is the best product to raising pH of a tank? The city water runs at about 7.4 to 7.8 and his water runs anywhere between 6.0 and above. His water softener runs at 6.0 and from the outside spigut, it is about 6.5. Again thanks!!!!!

P.S. - The picture of the sump filter is pretty close to wht he has. Only difference is that it is close to 5 or 6 years old and is old in design.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store