helping with school carnival, goldfish care sheet tips?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
I'm helping out the PTA at my daughter's school get ready for their school carnival this year. I was asked to make posters for the various game booths. From this I discovered they are planning a "goldfish toss" (where you toss rings and win a goldfish) booth, and was unable to talk them into another prize. I did get permission to make a fact/care sheet that we will tie on the bags of the goldfish. I don't imagine most parents will bother reading it or following the advice, but even if just a few do I'll feel better about it.

This fact sheet will probably only be one piece of paper, and I want it to give clear, easy to read, kid-friendly information that won't overwhelm people and keep them from even bothering to read it. I want to cover things like tank size and filtration, water changes (including tap water conditioning), feeding, and the nitrogen cycle. Obviously I won't have room to go into any of these in great detail, and if I did fewer people would be likely to read it. I know it is taboo, but I will provide a little info on how to keep them in a filterless bowl since people are going to try to do it, and mention that this becomes less and less acceptable the larger the fish gets. I'd also like to list a few recommended books and some websites.

Any suggestions on information you'd consider vital to something like this? I know ideally that the carnival would choose another prize, or that they'd at least give vouchers for the fish so that parents could buy the tank BEFORE they got the fish. However, the school has already placed the order for the fish and is not interested in any of these suggestions. So, information is the next best thing. I'm hoping it will introduce some people to the hobby and let them realize there is more to know about keeping fish.

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
I am particularly interested if anyone knows of a great goldfish website. I'm going through them right now and there are so many... a lot of them are amateur or all about fancies. I'm having trouble finding something with good, easy to find information for the beginner.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
Try this:
Essentials for Keeping Goldfish

I would add something relevant to what they need to do with the fish should they decide not to keep it.
Perhaps you could locate a park pond or private party with room for lots of commons- someone willing to house them when the new wears off? Even a pet shop willing to sell them as feeders?

A definite address of where to go with an unwanted fish would keep them from being flushed. Some of them anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store