hermit crab eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
this is one of the really neat parts of keeping tanks, i captured 2 rogue mexican red leg hermits that have been murdering my scarlet reds. the mexican reds have at least 4 confirmed kills that i watched but couldnt get to. i am heading to inland tommorrow anyway so i figured i would take them along to trade in. i put them in a specimen cup and hung them on the side of my tank where they went round and round all night. one flipped the other one over and ran away. i watched as the toppled hermit tried to upright himself. after seeing that he couldnt( these two tote around shells almost 2 inches tall and 3 inches wide) he began to crawl out of his shell. its tail was covered in what looked exactly like crawdad eggs. so instead of trading i thought i would isolate the 2 in a 10 gallon. is there any chance of raising the babies? i have plenty of microsnails they can murder and steal homes from. has anyone ever had any success at this? i assume they go from egg to floating larva to crab, but would like to know what kind of food they would require at such a small state. im getting pics of the eggs to post later tonight. Or if someone knows a page i can read about it ( i know you do mogurnda ) then let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Oh, eggs! On first reading, I thought you said it was covered in something that looked like crawdads, and I was going to freak out, thinking it was some nasty parasite! Ahhhhh.

I would guess that a setup similar to those for raising any planktonic fry would work--the hard part would be guessing when they need to land and get a shell. I'd bet rotifers and greenwater would be good food for them until they go pelagic.

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
i tried to find stuff in the archives about it, i have found a little info. some questions i have are if they dont have a shell, will they die even if there are no predators in the tank? does anyone have an idea how long it will be before they molt into the final crab stage? in the zoea stage, will i actually be able to see them, like tiny pods?

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
There are a few references in this article: decapod review

The zoeae look like little spikey floaty things. The successful setups I've read about consist of small-mid-size tanks (10-20 gallon) with just an airstone. Peppermint shrimp are big enough to take newly hatched brine shrimp, but rotifers would be a good choice as well. My LFS sells frozen rotifers, you may give them a try.

I don't have access to the journals here in the office, so I can't tell you the specifics. One thing I read is that, once they settle, you need a large number of shells with a wide variety of sizes to accommodate the growing hermit-lets.

Doesn't Morgan at Inland Aquatics have a ton of experience rearing marine critters? You might ask him.

Last edited:

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
i dont know morgan. they guy i always ask is josh. i planned on asking when i go on saturday. its pretty neat, one of the 2 hermits in the specimen container molted about an hour ago. i think i have the basic setup ready for them. from everything i have read today, it looks like you really cant make any money off of them, but i think its gonna be neat just to try to raise a batch of eggs. now if only my percs would spawn, thats the only way the wife lets me start a new tank, i love this hobby!!!! thanks for the help peeps.

Koop

AC Members
Nov 13, 2007
LA Baby!
taking a pic

When you take a close up shot like that. you need to have the rose flower looking thing on.Micro

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store