Hey Everybody! Long time no see!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Brian Bivens

Labeotropheus Trawavasae
Jun 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
So, I haven't been here in ages, so first off, Hi everyone who's still around!

So, I just wrapped up a fishless cycle on a 55 and am going to do a Brichardi (daffodil preferably) tank... My wife loves them... Anywho, I know that these fish get extremely territorial when they breed... Can I keep anything else with them in the 55, or should I just start with a mated pair (if I can find them) or 4-5 of them to get a pair, and then let them fill the tank?

I was thinking of a few Yellow Labs or a Labeotropheus (sp) to add some pop, but I have a feeling that the labs will get bullied to death in there as soon as breeding starts...

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The Brichardi are more of a harem breeder, then pairs. I would get about 6+ and let them do their thing. A 55 is a little too small to add another group of fish with them.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
We'll need pics!!!! ;)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds great!

I'm assuming the tanks in your sig are gone given the fishless cycle?

Brian Bivens

Labeotropheus Trawavasae
Jun 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
Yep, just updated... We bought a new house and I am consolidating down to one show tank to keep really nice...

So, agreeing that Brichardi are EXTREMELY territorial, what about mixing Daffodil Brichardi with Neolamprologus Marunguensis? I guess I am afraid that my crushed coral+ (dead) live rock with kind of drown out the Brichardi a bit... I didn't know if the two would interbreed or tolerate one another... I am guessing that if I got 5 or 6 of each, it would just be a race to who would breed first and then there would be bedlam in the tank...

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Nice, welcome back! Yeah, I would go with tanker and get 6+ and let them do their thing. If you add other fish it seems pretty clear cut that once they start breeding it is just a matter of time before you have only Brichardi tank. I never see any other outcome long term. With that said I am LOVING the idea of a 55g Brichardi colony!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store