High co2 Bubble Rate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Hello All,
I'm a bit confused about it. I have at least 4b/sec (could be higher, it's too fast for an accurate count) in my 29 gal heavily planted tank, with a ph/kh of 6.6/4, which according to the chart yields 30ppm co2. I don't understand how such a manic bubble rate could still be within normal parameters. Is this unusual? Could it be the mineral oil that I use, instead of water?
Would like to up the co2 to counter some hair algae, but am hesitant to do so, although the fish are quite happy and healthy.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Every tank is different. Finding the best bubble rate can be tricky. This is especially true because plants grow and we prune. So the oplant profile of the tank is not constant.

that said I ended up at 1 bpm for a decade and it worked fine for me. I had no diffuser etc. so I pushed the co2 into the intake of my Eheim canister. It was my first canister bought 20 years ago and I am still using it and it is still as quiet as the day I first hooked it up.

I ran my co2 24/7 and did not use either a pH controller or a nighttime air stone.

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Aways interesting to hear of a non-standard method working well. I think very few would run pressurized co2 constantly, but nice to hear that it can work well. I have an in-line diffuser that I am quite pleased with, although I know that many would run the co2 straight into the cannister. There are warnings about increased noise, but as you have proven these don't always apply.
Will base my co2 rate on careful observation, although I still would like to know why my tank of modest size consumes so much of it

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I knew when I was designing the tank that the only filter that I would trust to have gas bubbled through it was an Eheim. I would not have tried it with any other brand. The canister ran quiet from day one and is still doing so today although the planted tank with co2 was taken down.

I have had 15 - 30 tanks for some time and a co2 added planted tank was too much work to keep it :pretty."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store