Hob filter intake

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Running 2 filters.
Any advantage to having the intake on one near the bottom and one near the top?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I've done one intake about 4 inches off the substrate and the 2nd middle of the tank height. The thought was to catch debris close to the substrate and any that might be floating mid tank height. I don't remember if one filter caught more debris than the other. ;)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think it all depends on your tank decor & filters...& debris. You want good flow toward the intakes however that happens...sometimes minor adjustmests can make a big difference, sometimes not. Especially in planted tanks, I want sponges over the intakes. Even if it slows the flow it keeps "big stuff" out of the filter (any kind) & reduces cleaning.

1 thing I will mention is if you want to help to remove duckweed, you don't want sponges on the intakes...& need to plan to clean filters a lot more often. Try as I might, I have duckweed in 2 tanks but not in 2, your mileage may vary :)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I hear ya. I've pondered this as well. I don't think there's any advantage to staging the intakes unless the tank's hardscape and flow pattern kind of match how you've got them.

Reactions: IceH2O
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store