Hole Drill Size help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Daniel Unique Name

AC Members
Dec 13, 2017
Last step to my 45gal, I need to drill a hole in the tank outflow to the sump below. I'm using 1in ID tubing and planned on heading up to lowes to build my own bulkhead out of pvc. With this I'm unsure what size Drill head to purchase for the hole. does it matter as long as it's larger than 1in and I can create an watertight seal? Need some last minute help guys :D

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You want the hole to be close enough that the PVC passes through easily, no forcing it. Without knowing what size PVC you are buying I can be more specific than that.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'd take the required pieces to your local hardware store and explain what you need.....

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
A 1" bulkhead requires a 1.75" diameter hole. This should be the size hole saw bit you need.

You are better off buying a bulkhead than trying to make one out of pvc. pvc does not have the flange that the gasket needs to seal against to prevent leaks.

Also Lowes does not sell glass drill bits. You need a glass holesaw bit to cut glass.

You can buy bulkheads from suppliers like Aquatic Ecosystems among many others.

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store