Homemade filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RicketyWoodworking

Registered Member
Sep 20, 2019
Hello!

I'm currently in a huge pinch and not able to afford new replacement filters for about two weeks. Today would be the day I'd normally replace the filter, and I thought I had more on hand, but I don't.

Is there anything I can use to clean the current or replace it with for the time being? Or am I better off riding it out till next paycheck..

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm not sure I understand...You can always rinse out filter media in used tank water. Just squeeze the heck out of it in bucket of tank water or even dechlorinated water. No need to replace the media...or the filter...

I almost never replace filter media & very less often all at 1 time. I think you're overthinking things...Tell us more on why that seems like a good option...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you were going to just replace, there's no need to worry about dechlorinated water . You are never going to remove more bacteria from your ecosystem as you would if you just threw them all in the trash.

And the bacteria can normally stand the chlorine from a running faucet... So don't worry too much

Only thing you may lose would be activated charcoal in the filter.. which unless you are actually adding for a reason, you will not miss anyway.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
What brand of filter are you using?
I've had filters that 'required' the same brand of replacement floss, but usually you can just buy a role of generic filter floss cheap and cut it to size to fit the filter.
And as fishorama noted, you could simply rinse out the existing cartridge and reuse in many cases.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store