hospital tank how to?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Foxie

AC Members
Dec 10, 2012
Florida
Camera Used
Canon 7D, or Galaxy s10 note phone
I am starting a hospital tank what should go in like any sand plants etc. or nothing but heater and filter? is it best to add a pouch of sand from large tank to condition? Thanks

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Yes it would be a good idea to put in a pouch of sand from an established tank, unless your going to use an antibiotic. Plants will help with the water quality and make the fish feel more secure as opposed to an empty tank. Preferably use disposable plants or clippings, as some treatments will be bad for the plants.

Foxie

AC Members
Dec 10, 2012
Florida
Camera Used
Canon 7D, or Galaxy s10 note phone
Yes it would be a good idea to put in a pouch of sand from an established tank, unless your going to use an antibiotic. Plants will help with the water quality and make the fish feel more secure as opposed to an empty tank. Preferably use disposable plants or clippings, as some treatments will be bad for the plants.
Thanks ....and should there be sand on the bottom or just clear of substrate?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
To me a hospital tank for sick fish is slightly different than a quarantine tank for new fish. Mostly it's down to substrate (QT) or none (hospital tank). I have lots of plants & filters to take some plants &/or media from. I find a substrate for new fish helps them feel more secure & keeps them from chasing their reflection along the bottom. I both cases any plants or décor are disposable in case of issues unless it's a rock or something that can be bleached.

Reactions: dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store