How can I clean this tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KristiB

AC Members
Apr 18, 2017
Or do I even need to? You can see hard water stains a few inches from the top. This pic is after I cleaned the tank with vinegar water. What would you do?IMG_0676.JPG

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
How does it look when the tank is filled with water.. assuming you're going to use it as an aquarium, that would be when it matters, lots of times, if the stains are on the inside of the glass, they won't be too noticeable once submerged.

KristiB

AC Members
Apr 18, 2017
The stains are on the inside. Not really noticeable when filled or wet. I was hoping it'd be ok without another cleaning so thank you!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You are pretty much cleaning for aesthetic reasons.. so if you don't care, you should be golden.

Reactions: KristiB

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Another easy option is to use a magic eraser. They're aquarium safe and take care of a lot of issues, though this might actually be etching and not just a stain. If you run your finger over it, can you feel ridges? If not, it's etching and not much can be done. But, as mentioned, if you can't see it when the tank is filled it's not harming anything. If you try taking photos of the tank, that may change, since the camera will pick up EVERYTHING.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think you want to be sure to get the original magic eraser, not the scrubbing one, or the febreze one... and I don't have any knowledge of the extra durable one either.. so I'd use that with caution.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Sometimes the stains will actually get absorbed over time too and disappear after being filled for awhile. I had ones in my 29g that I could not remove through cleaning and were noticeable when filled but are now gone, probably took 6-8 months. I have other marks on my 58g that only get worse with time and razor blades and magic erasers have no effect so hopefully you don't have those kind! Those marks are what I now believe to be "etchings" which cannot be removed.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
I like magic erasers. But as others said, once you fill the tank the slight smudge should disappear.
I paint the back of my tanks and the painted glass always looks crappy and uneven until I fill the tank.
Then it looks great!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store