• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

How do I ?

Ian h

AC Members
Hey all,

So I was looking at my tank today and thought... Hmmm, it's kinda crowded. So is it possible to change the scaping without messing up my water quality? I am thinking just moving things around not taking things out for good.
Also I was thinking it may help me to get a load of snails out of my tank at the same time :)

fishorama

AC Members
Well, it depends on how much you want to change things. Moving plants or wood can stir up detritus...& you know the answer, water changes w/vacuuming.

Snails are "controllable" but a few are OK to me & actually useful. You can try to remove some by baiting them with veggies. Like a slice of zucchini etc. left over night & veg & snails removed in the am. You can also squish them against the glass (depending on the snails, mts are not smush-able), but dead animals can cause ammonia spikes, etc. Look for the jelly-like eggs masses of some snails & remove them. Not just scrape them off, remove.

Is this in your fry grow out tank? Several snails can help with uneaten food, but that will increase your "bio-load" (ammonia etc). Some snails actually crap infusoria, a very good "first food" for fry. I know "mystery" snails: do, but ramshorns might too.

Ian h

AC Members
This is in my 1st tank, I just wanted to move some of the wood around and take out a cave deco I have in there. I have 3 assassin snails, but I still seem to have way too many pond snails and ramhorn looking ones. I have picked a bunch and fed them to my YoYo loaches, so I might just continue to do that and maybe add 3 more assassins lol

fishorama

AC Members
Go slow with any rearranging. We used to call snails "loach candy" & fed them often. I prefer (red) ramshorns to pond snails but loaches don't care.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store