How do you catch FW fish over 12 inches to Transfer?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vomit_sandwitch

AC Members
Dec 29, 2010
Hi all,

I have a 650ltr Tank (160gallons) which needs to be moved temporarily.

Its inhabitants are;

1 Silver shark (bala shark) which is around 13 inches.

and

2 Salmon tailed catfish, which are around 14 inches.

What i want to know is there any other way other than using a net, As i cant seem to find a net at the pet store big enough, and at a fishing tackle store, the nets are too big to fit into the aquarium.

In the past they have been caught via net, although they were a lot smaller, and i know from experience that these fish don't take well to being captured and usually go bat **** crazy!

supersudo

AC Members
Jan 17, 2010
San Diego, CA
when i was a kid.. and needed to transfer our giant oscar.. we would use a net to corner it and my buff cousin used both his hands to grab it securely near the head and the tail.. thumbs on top, fingers on bottom... it didn't wiggle around at all simply because he had a death grip on it.. lol.. transferring he'd gently lower it into the tank (still holding it) and release it once fully submerged..

koipoloi

Something fishy here.
Sep 17, 2009
Missouri
Real Name
Alex
I have a large net with a metal handle I picked up at petsmart. It's about 12" from left to right. I netted a 13 inch koi in it with few problems. Just be wary of them trying to jump out of it.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
I would recommend against the "death grip" strategy, however you can do what i do when I move large fish(10"-24"). Get a large clear bag(fishbag) and lower the water level of the tank, and slowly and calmly dip the bag in the tank and gently persuede the fish into the bag and lift up twist and tie. I moved many large fish including but not limited to a 20" silver arowana, a 16" red belly pacu, and a 24" royal clown knife. Went well with all of them

Reactions: kkifer

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Decent size buckets/pails can also be used to corner them when the tank has a reduced water level. Some of the specialized koi nets are great for long slim bodied fish if you want to go to that expense.

TMDragon

AC Members
Feb 24, 2008
Southern California
Get a large clear bag(fishbag) and lower the water level of the tank, and slowly and calmly dip the bag in the tank and gently persuede the fish into the bag and lift up twist and tie. I moved many large fish including but not limited to a 20" silver arowana, a 16" red belly pacu, and a 24" royal clown knife. Went well with all of them
^+1

The next time you purchase something from your LFS, ask to see if they wouldn't mind giving you some fish bags. That's what I normally do.

Shogun_FC

AC Members
Dec 18, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Real Name
Jimmy
Go to walmart and get a small trout net from the fishing section, wouldn't hurt to have one handy if You need to move em again. Maybe drill some holes in a small bucket, or corner them with a small bucket (without holes).

Shouldn't be to hard to find something laying around You can use, just be crafty (and safe). :)

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I used 2 what I think were 8" extra wide nets when my dad had a koi pond in sw AZ and we had to get them out. Always try 2 wider nets if you can is my $0.02.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store