How do you clean a lot of sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
dont even bother. If its a new tank just throw in the sand and start your fishless cycle.

The sand will get loaded with bacteria and the tank will clear on its own.

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
The argument against not bothering:

I did a near total water change at the end of the fishless cycle (in conjunction with a major remodel) and wound up kicking up a tremendous amount of fine sediment (I think it was mostly from the laterite in my laterite/sand substrate). Some of the sediment wound up settling unseen (because you couldn't see anything) on top of the heater creating a hot spot and causing it to shatter. I'd keep as much crap out of the water column as possible.

appaloosatb

Took the road less taken
May 24, 2002
Byron, MN
appaloosatb.bookcrossing.com
When I rinsed my sand I put it all in a 5gal bucket and tipped it slightly, then ran water from the hose into the bucket until all the water ran clear. It took about 10 minutes altogether.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by appaloosatb
When I rinsed my sand I put it all in a 5gal bucket and tipped it slightly, then ran water from the hose into the bucket until all the water ran clear. It took about 10 minutes altogether.
This is the easiest way...... Make sure you have a new bucket - at least know the bucket is extremely clean before you put the sand in there...

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
I have another argument against just pouring it straight in (from my first sand experience, several years ago...). I did just that, since I was unaware that it needed to be rinsed. First, I had cloudy water for a week. Second, tiny little particles got pulled up the intake on my HOB filter and burned out the impellor assembly (due to friction).

Pillowcases and buckets work equally well, IMO. The pillowcase is better for smaller amounts (29 gal. or less tank).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store