Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you keep shrimp in the tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by pl*co, Apr 30, 2005.

1. pl*co

pl*co Feeds low on the food chain

Aug 27, 2007
    What are best practices to make certain ghost shrimp stay in the tank? I have a 10 gallon with 6 ghost shrimp. They are difficult to keep track of, so I want to make sure they stay in the tank, don't end up in the filter by crawling up the outside of the intake or right out of the tank via an air line or the heater hole in the hood or something. Do any of you cover up all the holes in the hood? How do you deal with the filter? Am I worrying too much?. Thanks.

#1 pl*co, Apr 30, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  2. reiverix

reiverix Aye

Jan 19, 2010
    I just leave my ghost shrimp to their own devices. They are breeding as I now have several 1/2 inch shrimp zooming around the tank. I would think they have little chance of getting sucked up the filter intake unless they are really small. I also haven't had any climb out the tank.

3. pl*co

Aug 27, 2007
    Thank you reiverix that help ease my concern some. I could keep the water level a bit lower and that would help too, I'm sure. Now I'm mostly concerned about them climbing in the filter, such as a snail might be apt to do. Thanks again.

#3 pl*co, Apr 30, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  4. Oddball~

Oddball~ Brackhead

Feb 2, 2006
    They won't go into the filter itseld, but will hang around it because they will learn that food gets sucked toward there.

They can't climb out of the water, and once out of the water, they are totally helpless. There is no shrimp that I know of that is adept at walking on land, either.

5. pl*co

Aug 27, 2007
    thanks oddball. Now that you mention it, when I was putting them in the tank, one of them got stuck to the side of the cup I was using. They seem to go a bit flat when not in water. OK! That should do it then. All fears are quelled. Thanks! (uh oh... what if they jump out?.. just kidding).

6. RTR

RTR AC Members

Oct 17, 2006
    Anyone who has kept Amanos knows that they are not at all helpless on land. They walk out of tanks routinely. When you are tring to transfer then from one tank to another, they will run - not walk - up the net handle and up your arm. Ghost do seem weaker out of water.

7. Blinky

Blinky Gone

Sep 13, 2006
    Amanos are fast little guys, I have my 14g well covered because I've read several times that they're escape artists and good jumpers, some people come home to find them halfway across the room :eek:
    Ghost shrimp don't seem so inclined to leave the tank. I recently bought a few for my 1g, after reading that they're a good choice for open tanks.
    I cover my filter intakes with sponges to prevent snails and shrimp from getting injured, and nearly always have a shrimp or two hanging out on the sponge - they're smart little creatures, it only took them a few hours to figure out the sponge was a good source of food :)

8. Oddball~

Oddball~ Brackhead

Feb 2, 2006
    It seems blinky also has had experience with the lazy and smart ghost shrimp!

9. pl*co

Aug 27, 2007
    Thanks RTR, Blinky. All good info. Well, one Ghost shrimp did jump out of the cup as I was tipping it into the tank, which surprised me. There must have been about a tablespoon of water in the cup at the time. I didn't want to get the little guys tangled up in a net. Thankfully though, he landed in the tank. I think it will be ok now that they're all in the tank and I'll keep in mind what you said about Amanos. Thanks!

10. Veneer

Veneer AC Members

Jan 19, 2006
    From http://www.hku.hk/ecology/porcupine/por24/24-invert.htm