Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How long before bronze corys get to adult size?

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by tuvok, Feb 5, 2006.

1. tuvok

tuvok AC Members

Jun 20, 2011
    I have had a group of 6 bronze corydoras for over a year and while they appear healthy none of them seem to have grown much larger than when they were first introduced to my aquarium. They are all at least an inch shy of their potential 3" maximum size. Does anyone know how long it takes for these fish to reach their full size?

2. mandimoron

mandimoron raving platy fangirl

Oct 16, 2013
    Just a stab in the dark, but... Aren't male corydoras usually smaller than their female counterparts? Maybe you have a school of boys-- a frat, if you will. In which case, perhaps they'd like some togas? >_>

3. PeeJay

PeeJay AC Members

Mar 19, 2007
    I have one male and one female in my tank. While the female is a bit bigger (rounder and more full-bodied), compared to the male, she's not that much bigger. Both are identical in length. I've had both my cories for almost a year now and seem very healthy (keeps laying eggs). However, my cories are also about 2 inches in length and I too am curious to see if they get any bigger than this.

4. TKOS

TKOS Registered User of Fish

Sep 15, 2015
    My cories are over 3 years old now and they are still around 2 inches. I have not seen a bronze at 3 inches before. My babies are getting to around an inch now and they are about 8 months old now.

5. kyle3

kyle3 AC Members

Dec 11, 2009
    most cory species stay about 2 inches.

I have seen some lately that get huge in comparisson.

However, there is also a fish that is often mistaken for a bronze cory, in fact bronze cory is one of it's common names, scientifically known as Brochis splendens they are actually not a cory and get to 3". I bought some of these as juvenilles from a store that called them aneaus corys(which i bet is what you have) so perhaps you got them from a dealer who didn't realize the difference. apparently this happens a lot.

when mine started exceeding the size i expected i got worried- hadn't planed on them for my bioload. i found all this out then.

i had to trade them in- which i was sad about b/c they had great little personalities- i liked them a lot.

cheers -Kyle

6. tuvok

tuvok AC Members

Jun 20, 2011
    Your replies have been very informative. I have to say that I have also never seen a Bronze Cory that was 3". With all that said though 3" is the claimed adult size on many websites that deal with catfish including the following:
    http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/callicht/corydora/51_F.PHP

I wonder if the reality is sommething more like 3" specimens have been observed but they do not generally get that large in aquaria.

7. Flowerhorn916

Flowerhorn916 AC Members

Jan 1, 2008
    A lfs by me is selling a mated pair of bronze corys for 60.00 both are 3" long so they do get that big. How old are they? I have no clue.

8. gabrielandco.

gabrielandco. Look into my eyes...

Jun 28, 2006
    i am not sure what kind mine were, and they were already large when i bough them, so i also have no idea how old. anyway, they weren't quite 3", but they were "deep" or hunched from dorsal to ventral side.