How many angelfish can I put in my tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I have a 55 gallon tank with four angels 4-5". I would like to add two more? is 6 OK. I have read you need 10 gallons for each angel, but I could go buy the rule 1" of fish per gallon of water. Which is right.
Thanks

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
One inch per gallon is far from useful and has been shown to be very mis-leading. Ideally, 1 angelfish per 10 gallons is more correct. The problem comes in at spawning time. I would consider 6 to be the maximum for a 55. Having 6 will help with the aggression and in-fighting. Because of their aggression they are far from angelic. There is no easy answer as they may or may not get along. Since they are cichlids, it is possible that overstocking might help with the aggression. There is no easy answer for this.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I don't know if adding more angels is a good idea, especially if any of them pair up. Territoriality can cause a lot of problems in your tank. The one inch per gallon rule is a rule of thumb that allows easy calculation, and must be applied in conjunction with common sense. 10 neon yellow rasboras in a 10 gallon tank? Sure. 10 neon tetras in a 10 gallon tank? Sure. 10 neon yellow rasboras *and* 10 neon tetras? Probably. 1 pictus catfish? No, because at full growth of 8 inches, it'd have a hard time turning around.

colleen0309

AC Members
Jul 21, 2010
Freedom, NY
I had six angels in a 55 gallon. When they were small, everything was fine. Now I have 3 55 gallon tanks with 2 angels in each and I'm about to split up two of those.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
As with all cichlids...you never really know. You should always be prepared for pulling fish that are either the aggressor or picked upon. It may work for a month or a year or not at all.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
10 gallons per angel is another of the 'general' rules..works well for breeding pairs and establishes a 'minimum' requirement
what really comes into play with angels, which has already been mentioned, is they fact that they are Cichlids and with that they are unpredictable.
Angelfish are notorious for being conspecific aggressive..aggressive within the species..they will figh amonst themselves and establish a pecking order which can result in fish that get picked on.
if a breeding pair form, and you increase this by adding more angels, you will then have to deal with territorial issues as the breeding pair will control a section of the tank..in a 55 it could be as much or more than half the tank.
just be prepared to deal with this and be ready to move angels

I keep 29 G tanks on hand to deal with issues I run into.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i had two angels in a 55 and they started fighting and i had to separate them.

i would not add more angels to your tank, but instead make plans for possible separation due to aggression that may arise.

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
Thanks for all of your help. I might try one and see what happens. I have two in a 20 gallon tall and they are fine. I wanted to see if any of the fish would pair off. The 4 I have have never paired off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store