how many dwarf gourami can I keep in 10 gallons tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gourami5

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Hi,

I am a newbie and I just started a 10 gallons tank two weeks ago, currently I have four dwarf gourami in the tank (neon, power blue, rainbow and flame red all males) and a cory catfish to clean the food that might drop to the bottom. Even though I read they might be aggressive toward each other, all of them seem very peaceful except during the feeding time, when they sometimes chase each other.(so that they can get more food, i guess). So right now 10 inches of fishes in my 10 gallons tank. (4*2inches gourami + 2 inches cory(right now the cory is about 1 inch)).

My question is can I add one more dwarf gourami to my tank or is it too much? I am thinking about adding blue coral dwarf gourami(to complete all colors varieties) and I do not want to change to a bigger tank. Thanks in advance.

Kissofthegorami

Broke College Student
Feb 24, 2005
Boston,MA
Keep it at the four. I think u have reach capacity. Cories like to be in groups. I would suggest u get one or two more cories and thats it. You will find that your cory will be much more active. Make sure the cories get food too.

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Don't get anymore. And watch your gouramis to see if any are getting ganged up on. You might have enough in there that they won't bother each other too much, just keep any eye on them. And for future reference, the inch per gallon rule isn't really the best way to stock your tank. With that much stock make sure you do frequent water changes and that you have a good filter.

gourami5

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Guys,
Thanks for your reply. I do have one more question. what happen if I overload the capacity of the tank(not that I am going to do it)? is that amonia and nitrate level that I need to worry about or is there other reason? kiss of gourami, you mentioned adding a couple of cories, so if I remove the cory from the tank, can I add another gourami? I am not being an a*s, I just wanted to complete the color varities of my gouramies. Thanks again. You have been very helpful.

Kissofthegorami

Broke College Student
Feb 24, 2005
Boston,MA
No, no more gouramies. There are a few reasons why over crowding is bad. One is the waste produced. Your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels will be unmanagable and its really easier on you and your fish to have a well-balanced aquarium. Too many fish will stress the fish out and cause aggressive behavior. This is especially true with gourami. Dwarf gouramie males.. which is what you have fight, especially when crowded. A ten gallon is a small tank. I personally would do two dwarf gourami and 4 cories. Right now you are full to capasity and might be able able to get away with adding one or two more cories depening on the species. Your group of cories should always be of the same species.

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Just a side note, if you plant your tank it will handle the bioload you have a lot better, not that you should add that last gourami, but the plants will help you manage all those ammonia and nitrates. just an idea, you could trade in that corie for a handfull of amano or ghost shrimp since they seem to contribute less to the bio load. Or go get yourself a 20 gallon so you can get that last gourami.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store