how many fish is too many

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

catlady379

AC Members
Sep 15, 2019
A friend was moving and couldn't take her fish so she gave them to me. 2 black skirted tetras, 2 phantom tetras, and a pleco. They are in a 10 gallon tank and I hardly ever see the pleco. He hides all the time. I would like to add something for some color, cherry shrimp maybe or another fish with some color. I am new to fish keeping and love watching the fish.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
The tetras are fine in a 10gal. The pleco is likely going to outgrow it, and be messy besides. If you can get some pictures of the pleco or otherwise identify it, that would be helpful.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
Is that a rubber lip Pleco?
If so, they reach 4 inches or more, and most Plecos get even bigger. None are appropriate long term for a 10 gallon.
I'd rehome him as soon as possible.

The Skirt Tetras are larger than ideal for a 10 gallon but they should be fine.
You could get away with adding a couple more Phantom tetras once you get rid of the Pleco.
Ideally, I'd have just one schooling species.

Reactions: fishorama

catlady379

AC Members
Sep 15, 2019
Ok. The hubby and I are going tomorrow to get a 65 gallon tank and stand. It had been previously used as a saltwater tank and has deposits on it. Once I get it cleaned up, set up, and cycled I thought I would move the pleco over to it but I am not sure if I should move the black skirts also and leave the phantoms in the 10 gallon, move the phantoms over and leave the black skirts, or move them all. Again I would love to add something with some color to the bigger tank.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The skirt tetras get larger so I would move those to the new tank with the pleco. Both species of tetras would like to be in groups, a minimum of 5 or 6, more is better.

Congrats on the new tank!

catlady379

AC Members
Sep 15, 2019
Been a while since I posted so here is an update....We picked up the tank, got it clean, set up, and cycled. I moved my fish over and have added more since. I started with 2 black skirt tetras, a pleco, and 2 red phantom tetras. Now I have a total of 5 black skirt tetras, 5 red phantom tetras, 1 pleco, 2 oto catfish, 4 mollys, 7 platys, and 2 dwarf guarami. They seem to all get along and are beautiful to watch, so relaxing.

Reactions: Biz
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store