How MAny Goldfish In A 125 ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

phil_ip

AC Members
Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
How many fancy goldfish can I but into a 125- 135 gallon aquarium. And can I mix those regular feeder goldfish with the fancy kind.

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Yes, you can mix GF types. The concern is that the feeder Gf will be comets and they will be faster than the wider-bodied fantails and will out-compete them for food. If you stick the standard fantails, I think they'll do just fine, but if you get a GF that doesn't have a dorsal tail, like a bubble eyes or a lion head, and they might get out-competed for the food.

Note: I usually overstock my GF tanks, so if you want to be more conservative than I, that is only a good thing.

Basically, I have 1 GF per 10 gallons of water, so if I had a 125g, I would feel comfortable with 10-13 GF. I underfeed my GF, feed lots of veggies, have good filtration, and have always sworn by using a bubble wand or airstone to provide additional aeration.
I would expect that the others here would recommend 4-6 GF for a 125g.

Val

avoxo

FORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2003
North Providence, RI
Visit site
Hello Phil, both Val and Chinese Star have given good advice, but I think the most important thing you should look for is the size of the fish. You can have a 1-inch lionhead, which would do great with the 10-gallon rule, but a 9-inch lionhead would have a miserable existence in those same conditions. I would suggest starting off with a few and work your up until you see what your tank and yourself can handle

Avoxo

Shay

AC Members
Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
I suppose you could put in quite a few if you just want lfs quality, size and health in your tank (yaaaawn).

If, however, you would like to raise some real head turners, I would suggest no more than four. It really depends what you want out of your fish, interaction and variety, or attention grabbing beauty.

-Shay

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If you want them to grow as large as they can then I would suggest you don't house more than 6 in that size tank. Of course the more water an space you can give each fish the better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store