how many watt heater for a 15 gal tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jay-Stew

AC Members
Jan 18, 2006
26 miles North of Lake Erie
Hi, You generally need 3 watts per gallon. So a 50 watt heater will work for you nicely. You could use a heater that sticks to the inside back of tha tank as opposed to a submersible heater also. Good luck!!

Jay-Stew

AC Members
Jan 18, 2006
Who told you 5 watt's per Gallon? a heater chosen should be 2-3 watts per gallon to provide adequate heat. Personally my own preference is to undersize the heater as this lessens the risk of the unit malfunctioning and cooking the tank. as an alternative you can install a pair of smaller heaters rather than a single or large one. for example a 50 G would usually use a 100 - 150 watt heater, but 2 50 or 75 watt units would do a better job. In Gumby's case he has a 15 G tank and he would most definetly use a 50 watt heater as the tank is not large enough to worry about drastic temp. swings.

Hannys_Papa

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Upstate NY
General rule of thumb is 5W per gallon. Do a search on this forum or web.
BUT thats very vague. It depends on how much you need to raise the tank temperature above ambient temperature and tank size.

Here is a page that'll help to explain this:

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/tipsandtables/l/blheatersize.htm

As an example: Because we like it cool at night we let the house temp drop into the very low 60s in the winter. A 50W heater could no longer maintain 81 degrees in my tank when that happened - so now i am using a 75W heater in a 10G.
Of course as soon as summer rolls around i'll replace that one with the 50W again to minimize possible dangers incase of a heater failure.

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
i have a 50w heater on my 20g and it works just fine. but then i have my tank about a foot from my baseboard heater, so that helps.

Jay-Stew

AC Members
Jan 18, 2006
OK, OK, OK How about we all agree an 3-5 watts per Gallon.........?LOL :laugh:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store