How much fertilizer would you dose in this tank......?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
Ok, my dad has a 16 gallon with some java fern in it. He's been using water from his dehumidifier for his water changes and top offs (for about a month now). I know java fern isn't very demanding, but I'd like to get some ferts in there so the java fern doesn't become deprived of nutrients. It's been fine so far, but it's only been a month.

According to Seachem's directions, a 16 gallon tank gets 1.3 ml once or twice a week. I know this is a liberal dose for a couple low demanding plants though. How would you dose it, but most importantly, at what rate would you replenish?

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
How often are water changes done? That's the important bit, since they will determine how often unused nutrients will be removed.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Maybe mention that livestock is in the tank, and describe the details of feeding.

I would likely prefer to use tap water than from a dehumidifier for water changes, unless there's a good reason to do so, normally the output from a dehumidifier will have very little in it, and may not be as good for plants and fish unless they have specific needs.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Gee, I never feed java ferns but use tap water for WCs so KH & GH are there. Fish food can provide some macros. What's his nitrate level? Anything above say 5ppm is good enough.

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
Water changes will be 40% once/week. There are 3 baby goldfish in there. They are fed conservatively. As far as nitrates I have no idea, I've never had a reason to check them until now I guess. I can't imagine they'd be under 5 though.

Thanks!

Adalbert

AC Members
Mar 5, 2017
With water changes 40% I'd add 1ml of seachem fluorish only every other day (in the day of water change don't add anything) and in the days between seachem fluorish I'd add seachem potassium 2ml, and that's all you need. Fish will provide the rest. If you don't have co2 you may also add seachem excel, it works good even if you have co2 you may still use it and it prevents from algea

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store