How much zucchini for nerite snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snailquestions

Registered Member
Jul 18, 2019
I have had 2 for about a week. I placed blanched zucchini in and they never touched it. I left it in for a few days, not realizing you aren’t supposed to leave them too long. One of the snails was being sluggish all week so I decided to place it on top of the zucchini and it dug into it for a while. Then I thought maybe it’s been in the tank too long and the nutrients are gone. I went to take the zucchini out and it turned to vege-dust all over the tank. I hope this doesn’t affect anything! I scraped out what I could with a net.

I put some new zucchini in for the snails, this time making sure they are aware of its existence. How much is good for them?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, in my very short experience with nerites, they wouldn't eat zucchini even with algae wafer bits stuck in it. Other than soft green or brown (diatom) algae I couldn't find a food they would eat. I wish you better luck than I had. Such a pretty snail! I felt like a failure.

You might try leaving your lights on long enough to grow an algae they like. Good luck! & let me know what works for you.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
My bristle nose plecos won't eat zucchini either. Cucumber on the other hand? Gone quickly.

Snailquestions

Registered Member
Jul 18, 2019
Well, in my very short experience with nerites, they wouldn't eat zucchini even with algae wafer bits stuck in it. Other than soft green or brown (diatom) algae I couldn't find a food they would eat. I wish you better luck than I had. Such a pretty snail! I felt like a failure.

You might try leaving your lights on long enough to grow an algae they like. Good luck! & let me know what works for you.
We got fish and a bigger tank but one of them died beforehand. The other one is getting huge!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store