How often should I change my tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sir Saltiness

Registered Member
Jun 9, 2016
USA
Real Name
Grey
I plan on getting a tank with 3 pleco fish but Im not sure how often I would need to change the water or substrate. Since they clean the tank, technically, would it be rare?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Plecos do not "clean the tank" in the manner you are thinking. They do not eat fish poop. This will build up in the water and you will need to change it. Water changes are typically recommended weekly, but you'll need to monitor the nitrates to know how much to change exactly.

Please read this sticky on cycling http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/freshwater-cycling.84598/

Also, try posting in the freshwater section. plecos are not marine or saltwater

Reactions: Samehada

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Hopefully it's not 3 common plecos you're referring to either. You'd need like a 300g tank.. Yet it will still need big weekly water changes.

Samehada

AC Members
Jun 10, 2016
Plecos do not "clean the tank" in the manner you are thinking. They do not eat fish poop. This will build up in the water and you will need to change it. Water changes are typically recommended weekly, but you'll need to monitor the nitrates to know how much to change exactly.

Please read this sticky on cycling http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/freshwater-cycling.84598/

Also, try posting in the freshwater section. plecos are not marine or saltwater
I totally agree with the above. The only things I'd like to add are that plecos can actually create quite a bio load and require that the tank and fish included be planned around them as much as any other fish. This is because they are highly diverse group of fish. Some can get very large, while others stay small, some require meaty foods while others need plant matter going so far as to need the inclusion of driftwood in their diet. They're also very diverse as far as aggression with some plecos being intolerant of other plecos or even other fish that invade their territory. Honestly they're often under rated by many new comers while being cherished by experienced fishkeepers for their diversity.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I think he's trolling....my pleco adds a HUGE amount of bioload to my display tank, so a tank of plecos would not be a good thing. Aggression, as mentioned above, would also be prevalent if they did not have adequate cover, or were different sizes with different needs. Not a good idea.

EDIT: I have a candystripe pleco in my display tank. He is 2" long maxed. I also have a massive sailfin/hifin pleco in there, who is much larger. No aggression between the two, as my candystripe has small places to hide and get around to that the other cannot. Plus, there are so many plans, rocks, and logs in the tank that no single fish can really be targeted. Super peaceful, but your conditions may not be suitable for something like this.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Depending on the size of the tank, 3 plecos would require more water changes, gravel vacs than a tank without them. They are large fish with a large bioload.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
And they fight :( pleco v pleco aggression is brutal, man. I would never do three large in ANY tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store