Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How often should I feed my pleco??

Discussion in 'Plecos' started by Lynsey, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Lynsey

Lynsey AC Members

May 24, 2014
    HI -
    I have a 9" Sunshine pleco in my Oscar tank. I am wondering how often I should feed him. I have only had him for a little over a week and a half. I have been feeding him bloodworms, algae pellets, a beefheart mixture that I make and I tried a piece of zuchinni. I am just wondering how often I should be feeding him?

2. NJ Devils Fan

NJ Devils Fan #1 Devils fan

Jan 28, 2017
    Boil a piece of Spinich or Zuchini for about 10-15 seconds, rinse, and put into the tank. I would put more in once whatever is in there is completely finished.

HTH

#2 NJ Devils Fan, Jan 17, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2003
  3. mokmu

mokmu AC Members

Jun 29, 2007
    You can also not boil the veggies. Just rubber band them to a rock. I actually have feeding rocks that I rubber band the veggies on. I just pull out the rocks with the rubberband as soon as the veggies are gone.

Make the food as natural as possible and save your self electricity cost. Run the veggies through water and put them in the tanks. Pl*cs have rasping teeth that go through the veggies. They will be fine with fresh veggies.

Veggies are ONLY "cooked" or boiled to have them sink for the pl*cs who stay at the bottom.

4. Lynsey

Lynsey AC Members

May 24, 2014
    Thanks, I make the beefheart mixture for my Oscar anyways, so I will keep it up. It has spinach and peas in it too. The pleco seemed to like it. I think he really likes the bloodworms.

BUT............my question was how often should I feed him? not what should I feed him.

5. NJ Devils Fan

Jan 28, 2017
    I said you should feed when they finish what you put in the tank. Like you would put some zuchini in today, and the pleco doesn't finish it tomorrow, but does sunday, feed him sunday.

6. Lynsey

Lynsey AC Members

May 24, 2014
    Won't that fowl the water leaving it in more than one day? Sorry, I didn't get what you were saying the first time.

7. Ronne

Ronne IAMCANADIAN

Oct 16, 2005
    Leaving uneaten food in the water will foul the water. I usually feed my pleco after turning the lights off and remove what is left in the morning. It also depends what you are feeding. Lettuce will breakdown quickly so I take it out. Zucchini lasts longer so it can be left in for a few days.

Regarding the herbivore comment, plecos will definitely eat blood worms and almost anything else lying on the bottom. My sailfin pleco is addicted to the cories shrimp pellets.

8. NJ Devils Fan

Jan 28, 2017
    Spinich will not do anything to the water if you just leave it in the water for 2 days. I know thay for a fact because I do it all the time and never have a problem. I usually feed my pleco once, maybe twice a week.

9. Darkangel

Darkangel AC Members

Apr 17, 2003
    Feeding Plecos

Lets first off start by saying that not all plecos are herbivores. Most are omnivores and some are carnivores like the vampire and galaxias plecos. As "Sunshine pleco" does not tell what type of pleco you have I will recomend three feeding patterns. If the fish is a carnivore it should be fed daily with one day a week skipped or every other day. If it is an omnivore it should also be fed daily with an occasional day skipped. If however it is strictly a vegetarian type, it like Goldfish should have food in front of it all the time. Food passes through vegetarians very quickly hence the term "Like grass through a goose". There are others who will disagree but this is the way I decide on how often and how much to feed all my fish.

10. Lynsey

Lynsey AC Members

May 24, 2014
    My pleco is a L-14 aka Sunshine pleco aka Goldie pleco. I know that it is an omnivore. This is what Planet catfish suggests:
    I just didn't know how often I should be feeding. So far I have been feeding mainly everyday, but I have skipped a day inbetween once in a while.