How to Breed Snails For Your Loach/Pufferfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
You won't need much for this project, around $20 will suffice for most, if not all the supplies. A 2.5 gallon tank would work, but a cheap-o 5 gallon tank will definitely hold more snails!

Take out the filter, heater, but keep the lighting. In fact, increase lighting substantially. This will encourage algae growth, but make sure there is not enough to short-circuit the wiring and cause a fire... Anyways, get around 10-40 of those little pond snails and ZERO of those cone ones. The reason behind this is that the cone ones (MTS), eat the eggs of the pond snails. Besides, pond snails are much more productive.

After you stick these little buggers in, stick plants in there. And I mean a LOT of plants. My snails like bushy plants, because they give hiding spaces and give more space-per-plant to lay eggs on. Make sure the tank is HEAVILY planted. I cannot stress this enough!

After they get situated (1-2 days), stick a piece of dark lettuce like in salad mixes and weight it under a couple of rocks. Leave the lettuce in there and take what's left of it after 3-4 days. Add lettuce as soon as all traces are gone. Continue this cycle for a month.

Time for water changes after a month or two. Take out and replace around 90% of the water. This will damage the cycle, but snails really don't care for cycling. If there is a dead snail, TAKE IT OUT ASAP. It will rot and cause all the other ones to die.

After a couple of weeks, you should have bunches of baby snails, if it doesn't keep adding in adult snails!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store