how to feed blind Powder Blue Tangs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Hello again. What is your specific gravity level? Try to get it down to 1.008 if you can. I know it sounds low but that is the recommended hyposalinity level that will eventually kill the parasites. With that, make sure you have enough flow since the salinity level will affect the oxygen level as well.

How's your Tang acting?

vhx5438

AC Members
Oct 13, 2006
Hello again. What is your specific gravity level? Try to get it down to 1.008 if you can. I know it sounds low but that is the recommended hyposalinity level that will eventually kill the parasites. With that, make sure you have enough flow since the salinity level will affect the oxygen level as well.

How's your Tang acting?
My gravity level is at 1.013 right now, and I am trying to get it a little lower tonight, I am using buffer trying to increase the ph level because of the 7.5ph in my RO water. But how long will the tang survive in 1.008 gravity level?

The fish looks fine with 85% of the ich gone this morning, I hope it won't come back when I got home.

I am still trying to hatch some brine shrimp in the QT tank, so the tang might accidentally eat them yet without an Ammonia spike.( can brine shrimp hatch at 1.008 gravity level?)
:read:

vhx5438

AC Members
Oct 13, 2006
usually sick fish will not eat, its very normal. i agree that hyposalinity is the best way. just give it time sometimes they need to get better before they eat again. no major concern needs to be taken untill the fish seems to be loosing weight
How long can a blue tang go without food?? He still looks fine but I know this is a race against time, fish stress, and ich. If I speed up the treatment it will stress a lot for the fish, but if the treatment takes too much time, he might pass the point of no return............:read:

vhx5438

AC Members
Oct 13, 2006
Sorry to hear about your tang :( i just wanted to ask a question though..you can add brine shirp eggs right to the aquarium? i guess as long as you dont have fry that would choke on them? just wondering cause i hatch them in a 1 gal, then take the eggs out and then pour the brine babies in the tank for my fish....am i doing this the hard way?
I did that many times without really causing any problem, but some of the fish seems uncomfortable because too many swimming shrimps, so I am not sure if this is the best way to do it or not....I did it because of my tang is blind and he kinda of can not find food so I let the food go to him...^_^

If you do hatch the shrimp in the tank you might have to do something about your filter because most of them will be suck in to the filter unless your filter is bio form type(no motor to kill shrimps)

I don't think the shrimps will choke the fish but egg shell that you have to remove them after the shrimps hatched........just my lazy way to feed my fish....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store