How to get sunfish off live food

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I recently got a couple of small black banded sunfish but they refuse to take anything else but live mosquito larvae or aquatic pill bugs. They don't want anything frozen, also not frozen mosquito larvae. The seller said he just fed them pellets. Any hints converting them to frozen foods, or even pellets, live food season is going to end here.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Can you kill the larva right before feeding? Then they will get used to food that isn't moving, and once that happens, should be able to add prepared foods at the same time so they learn to see it as food too.

Other option is to let them get REALLY hungry. Usually a week is enough for them to decide food is food, wriggling or not. They go longer in the wild without food, so it's not a huge hardship.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I have been killing the aquatic pill bugs (no longer mosquito larvae here this time of year) so I will have to try your other suggestion.

Itsadeepbluesea

Registered Member
Feb 4, 2019
This is going to sound silly, but have you tried floating pellets? I had a red breasted sunfish a while back and that is how I got him to eat. He wouldn't touch them at first. But after several days he figured out they were food, and I had no issues.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I tried everything to no avail.
At Nanfa they said some sunfish will rather starve as take frozen or dried foods... and this is true. 1 died, for the other it took over 6 months to eat frozen bloodworms and chopped earthworms. He will try other stuff, but just spits it out.

FishL0ver

AC Members
Dec 29, 2018
You could give them the dried food and make movements to mimic a injured insect. Worked for my mosquito fish just fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store