Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How to switch filters without losing good bacteria? Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by Kaitlyn, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn AC Members

Yesterday at 9:37 AM
    Have always planned on rehoming the barbs, just was waiting for my tank to settle down! Took them back today and got some nerite snails :) and ended up with, well, a baby of some sort, who came attached to my wisteria... No idea what it is, but I guess I'll find out, lol.

2. The Habitat

The Habitat AC Members

Thursday at 10:43 AM
    may also want to add something else besides the nerites i dont believe they will keep your cycle going smooth they dont have a heavy enough bioload...my guess with the hitchhiker on your plant will be either a pond, bladder, or ramshorn...what color and shape is it? could even be an MTS

Kaitlyn likes this.
  3. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn AC Members

I just created an album with some photos from earlier. Currently, I can't find the little guy. He's so tiny I can't even see him unless I press my face right up against the glass and close one eye.

37c5050d3a6d929568d077f5e1713a16.jpg ID Snail.jpg ID SNAIL 2.jpg ID Snail 3.jpg

4. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn AC Members

Also what would you suggest adding? Am I okay to add fish?

5. The Habitat

The Habitat AC Members

as long as your tank is cycled it would be ok to add fish.. if it were me i'de personally add a Betta just to give them a better life than living in a cup...but there are other options like nano fish that i mentioned in an earlier post ....If the hitchhiker your talking about is the little snail on that plant it kind of looks to me like a bladder snail...one way to control their population is to always be sure to not overfeed your tank...I haven't had them personally but i do now have 4 ramshorn that were hitchhikers on plants i got in the past and i like them cuz they can climb on tiny plants and help clean too

6. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn AC Members

Gotcha, thanks! On my way to the fish store now to start on my stocking plan! lol

7. The Habitat

The Habitat AC Members

Good luck...Lets see some pics once you pick what u got and have em settled in...its good to acclimate them and leave the lights off for a while to help them adjust a little better!!

8. Tifftastic

Tifftastic "With your powers combined . . ."

Tiff
    Yesterday at 4:29 PM
    Tiff
    Aww its cute! I agree, looks like a bladder snail to me. They aren't much of a problem if you feed light and keep your detritus siphoned up.

With a ten gallon there aren't a lot of options, don't listen to the box stores on what you can have. Majority of their suggestions are not good for 10 gallon tanks.
    Endlers would be an option, as would ember tetras. A male betta on his own would likely take up majority of the space. A paradise fish is another option, if you can find them. You could also do some inverts, like cherry shrimp and some celestial pearl danios or something that size.

9. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Sunday at 12:17 AM
    I'm going to suggest dwarf corydoras, pygmy or habrosus. So cute & active!

10. Guppies99

Guppies99 Registered Member

Sunday at 1:44 AM
    I would run the filters in the tank at the same time, and on the next 2 water changes double dose of stress zyme, as to the tank cycling quickly keep a close eye on it they can sometimes do mini cycles before the proper cycle kicks in