Howdy Doody ??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Linconooni

AC Members
Apr 4, 2020
Sheffield, UK
Real Name
Gilly
Hey there, thought I’d say hello ☺

I’ve had a few tanks in the past, at one point had a 5’ tanganyikan with baby f1 frontosa! They were stunning fish. Was into shelldwellers for quite a while too, had similis and multis.

Now though since I moved into this house I’ve just been running a little 60litre Orca tank. It’s got a built in filter system at the back 4” depth of the tank run by a powerhead which is actually pretty good.

There’s an ever growing guppy population, six platinum tetra, two baby (1”) bristlenose, one chocolate shrimp, one cherry shrimp ? (I think so anyway, not seen that one for a while!) two lovely bamboo shrimp and my most favourite .... three giant African / vampire shrimp.

I’m in the process of resealing a Juwel Vision 180 and setting that up with an external filter and a more natural brown/black coarse sand substrate. I’ll be looking to plant it moderately.

After guidance from Dudley I’m going to be making my own LED strip lighting - I’ll be sandwiching the strips between sealed acrylic panels.

When the CV19 situation calms down I’d really like to turn the 60litre tank into some kind of cichlid tank.

Here’s a picture of the little freshwater tank!

39B46C26-4316-43AC-B1D4-31B495C0E9A3.jpeg

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I don't remember suggesting sealing LED strips in between acrylic panels but if I did, please do NOT. Even though LED's emit less heat than other types of fixtures, they still need to be exposed to the air otherwise they will fail more quickly.

We used the LED on a roll type and fastened them to thin boards elevated above the aquarium surface. Some failed after a couple years so we ended up adding a thin strip of aluminum mounted to the board and then attached the LED tape to the aluminum. We also found that the LED on a roll that was enclosed in a waterproof covering failed quicker than the one without the waterproof covering.

Linconooni

AC Members
Apr 4, 2020
Sheffield, UK
Real Name
Gilly
Ahh, no you didn’t - I was just thinking of keeping condensation out - I’ve ordered the supposedly waterproof roll so I won’t enclose them. Thanks! ☺

Reactions: dudley

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

Reactions: Linconooni

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Good to have you here.
Be aware that bamboo/vampire shrimp aren't really suited to standard aquaria because they are filter feeders, you need to feed powdered food at the outlet of the filter and supply them with green water.

Linconooni

AC Members
Apr 4, 2020
Sheffield, UK
Real Name
Gilly
Hello again! ??

it’s been a fair task but resealed the tank, got it inside the house, started to build it, and tonight completed the final steps of finishing some plants, got a new heater, transferred the filter media into the canister filter and finally moved the fish...:)

It took quite an effort to catch all those little tiddlers I can tell you!! ?? ?

anyway... here’s a picture of the tank ?

B7B08BA7-6E92-480A-8C1F-5AD296A2EDDA.jpeg

Reactions: dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store